Grade separated interchange at Rio Road and US29
|Grade-separated interchange at Rio Road and U.S. 29|
Major reconstruction of intersection
Final design work
The design was created and implemented by the Lane / Corman Joint Venture Major construction on this component of the Route 29 Solutions package is expected was completed in July 2016. Early data shows the project has reduced crashes and contributed to improved travel times through the corridor. The firm received a $7.3 million bonus for completing the work ahead of schedule.
On June 18, 2014, the Commonwealth Transportation Board approved $81 million for design and construction of a grade-separated interchange at Rio Road and U.S. 29. The project is called for in the Places29 Master Plan
The project has been part of the discussions of how to address traffic congestion on U.S. 29 for many decades.
The project was part of a design-build contract process currently underway.
Opposition from the business community
Joel DeNunzio of VDOT reported data to the Board of Supervisors on October 4, 2017. There were 73 crashes in the area around the intersection between July 19, 2012, and April 13, 2013. The figures cover an area between Twentyninth Place and Woodbrook Road. The new configuration opened on July 19, 2016. DeNunzio said there were 41 crashes between that day and April 30 of this year.
DeNunzio also presented information that shows a decrease in average travel times. Data collected on April 9 and 10, 2014, was compared with that collected on Aug. 9 and 10 of this year. Northbound travel times between Hydraulic Road and Airport Road decreased by 21 percent between 7 and 9 a.m., 16 percent between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. and 19 percent between 4 and 6 p.m. Southbound travel times between Airport Road and Hydraulic saw similar reductions.
- Web. VDOT: Fewer crashes, faster travel times after U.S. 29 projects, Sean Tubbs, News Article, Charlottesville Tomorrow, October 6, 2017, retrieved October 9, 2017.
- Web. With Rio intersection done, attention turns to Hydraulic Road, Sean Tubbs, News Article, Charlottesville Tomorrow, January 19, 2017, retrieved December 26, 2017.
- Web. Western Bypass funding eliminated; CTB supports other U.S. 29 projects, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, June 18, 2014, retrieved June 19, 2014.
- Web. Recommendations unveiled for U.S. 29 congestion relief, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, May 8, 2014, retrieved May 19, 2014.
- Web. VDOT sets aggressive deadlines for Route 29 projects, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, July 25, 2014, retrieved July 27, 2014.
- Web. Rio Road interchange opponents organizing to block project, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, December 4, 2014, retrieved December 8, 2014.
- Web. The Who Has the Answer to New US29 Panel, Neil Williamson, Free Enterprise Forum, retrieved June 19, 2014.