Charlottesville Planning Commission
The role of the planning commission is to apply the content of the Comprehensive Plan to physical growth and development within city limits. The commission oversees any rezonings, special-use permits, site plans, and other development items that come before the city. The planning commission also serves as the Entrance Corridor Review Board (ERB).
The commission holds a regular meeting on the second Tuesday of each month, and and one work session each month.
- Lisa Green, Chair, Member since 2010
- Corey Clayborne, Vice Chair, Member appointed on March 8, 2016 by City Council
- Taneia Dowell, Member since 2014
- Kurt Keesecker, Member since 2009
- Genevieve Keller, Member since October 2007
- Jody Lahendro, Member since 2014
- John Santoski, Member since 2009
- Brian Hogg, Ex-Officio member representing University of Virginia
- Main article: List of City Planning Commissioners
Relations with Albemarle County Planning Commission
The City Planning Commission and the Albemarle County Planning Commission infrequently hold joint meetings to discuss issues that affect both jurisdictions.
In 2003, the City began a policy where at least one City Planning Commissioner would attend every meeting of the County Planning Commission. However, the policy did not last as this is no longer practice.
Every year, the Planning Commission presents awards to recognize planning efforts in the community for the previous year. Those awards are:
- The Eldon Fields Wood Design Professional of the Year
- Outstanding Plan of Development
- Citizen Planner of the Year
- Herman Key Jr., Access to the Disabled Award
- Outstanding Neighborhood Effort
- Neighborhood of the Year
- Outstanding Sustainable Development
- Neighborhood Development Services Staff Member of the Year
2008 workload changes
In 2008, the Planning Commission's workload was changed as part of a process to streamline the city's development review process. The intent behind the change is to spend less time on specific site plan approvals and leave more time to focus on general zoning issues, 
- "Draft Minutes, City of Charlottesville, Planning Commission, December 9, 2003." City of Charlottesville. Web. 13 Aug. 2009. <http://www.charlottesville.org/Index.aspx?page=1106>.
- "http://cvilletomorrow.typepad.com/charlottesville_tomorrow_/2008/10/commission_streamlining.html." Weblog post. Charlottesville Tomorrow News Center. Charlottesville Tomorrow, 17 Oct. 2008. Web. 13 July 2009. <http://cvilletomorrow.typepad.com/charlottesville_tomorrow_/2008/10/commission_streamlining.html>.