Virginia Discovery Museum
Virginia Discovery Museum (VDM) is a nonprofit hands-on children's museum, with exhibits on the arts, sciences, humanities, history and nature. It is located on the Downtown Mall and aimed at children ages 1 to 10 and their families.
The Virginia Discovery Museum brings young children and families together to engage minds, excite imaginations and explore the world around them.
The Virginia Discovery Museum was incorporated in 1981 in order to organize interactive activities which traveled throughout Central Virginia. The popularity of these programs increased the board's resolve to find a building for the exhibits. On October 25, 1986, VDM welcomed visitors to its first home, a two-story house located near the University of Virginia. The numbers of visitors increased and a bigger building was needed. On May 1, 1990, the Museum opened in its current location on the Downtown Mall.
In 2009, the museum broke its admissions record last year with 59,395 people entering the museum
Beth Solak and Janine Dozier are the co-executive directors of the museum. 
The museum pays $3,300 in rent per year to the city of Charlottesville. 
The museum closed for a month in early 2016 for renovations and to install new exhibits. Cite error: Closing
</ref> missing for
Board of Directors
- Galloway Beck, Co-Chair
- Elizabeth Chew, Co-Chair
- Jennifer Ferguson, Secretary
- Thomas Humphreys, Treasurer
- Katie Barr
- Brian Bell
- Rebecca Berlin
- Moira Kavanagh Crosby
- Krista Davis
- Aaron Fein
- Tracey Givan
- Alex Inman
- Diane Krehmeyer
- S. Kellogg Leliveld
- Joanne Meier
- Sheila O'Donnell
- Beth Solak
Since 2006, the museum has operated a carousel outside of its storefront. City Council granted a five-year lease to the museum that expires on June 30, 2011. The carousel is a gift from Fred Scott.
- "Factsataglance." Virginia Discovery Museum - a hands-on children's museum, with exhibits on the arts, sciences, humanities, history and nature. Charlottesville, Virginia on the East End of the Downtown Mall. Web. 19 Oct. 2009. <http://www.vadm.org/factsataglance.html>.
- Web. Discovery museum to reopen after renovations, Aaron Richardson, News Article, Charlottesville Tomorrow, May 13, 2016, retrieved January 2, 2017.
- Web. Virginia Discovery Museum Lease Agreement, Lance Stewart, retrieved April 18, 2011.
- Charlottesville City Council Minutes, 15 May 2006. City of Charlottesville, Virginia. Retrieved 21 Jun. 2010
- Virginia Discovery Museum website
- Virginia Discovery Museum on wikipedia
- Official Tourism Website of the Commonwealth of Virginia