Piedmont Family YMCA
Piedmont Family YMCA is the local chapter of the global organization YMCA.
|An article on Wikipedia has information about YMCAs in areas beyond Albemarle County's borders.|
"To put Judeo-Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind, and body, for all."
Brooks Family YMCAMcIntire Park after several years of planning. 
Planning for the $19 million facility was long in the making but the non-profit organization finally broke ground in November 2015. 
Years in the making
In January 2008, the organization entered into a 40-year ground lease with the City of Charlottesville for $1 per year.
The preliminary site plan called for a 77,000-square-foot facility on a 4.51-acre site. 158 parking spaces will be added to the 110 spaces already in place. Under the plan YMCA will be responsible for all maintenance. The approved design also features a sustainable details and the facility will be built into the hillside to minimize massing. Todd Bullard of VMDO is the architect.
Council voted 3-1-1 on September 17, 2007 to advertise a lease. Councilors David Brown, Kevin Lynch, and Dave Norris supported the lease. Councilor Julian Taliaferro voted no, and Kendra Hamilton abstained.  In December 2007, Council voted 3-2 to move enter into the lease with the YMCA, as Hamilton switched her vote to a no. 
The project was long delayed by a pair of lawsuits filed against Charlottesville and Albemarle County claiming the two jurisdictions broke Virginia's procurement laws by not allowing private companies to submit a request for proposals to operate an aquatic facility on city-owned land.   The court heard the case in June 2012 and dismissed the lawsuits in January 2013.  Construction is expected to begin sometime in 2013.
The terms of the ground lease required construction to have begun within five years of it being executed. That deadline is January 15, 2008. The Charlottesville City Council voted to grant the extension in December 2012.   The YMCA expected to break ground after the 2013 Dogwood Festival. 
Board of Directors
|Kurt Krueger, Chairman||Lee F. Hicks|
|William G. Wardle, Vice-Chairman||Kristin O. Landis|
|Suzanne Jessup Brooks||Kathy Marshall|
|Gordon C. Burris||Stephen McLean|
|Rip Cathcart||Timothy Redden|
|David B. Ern||Stephen F. Smith|
|Lawrence W. Gimple, MD|
- Jessica Maslaney, Chief Executive Officer
- Piedmont YMCA. Web. 26 July 2009. <http://www.piedmontymca.org/>.
- Web. Brooks Family YMCA Report to the Charlottesville City Council & Albemarle County Board of Supervisors June 20, 2017, Piedmont Family YMCA, retrieved July 5, 2017.
- Web. Charlottesville Breaks Ground on New YMCA, Delia D'Ambra, November 9, 2015, retrieved December 20, 2015.
- Web. Charlottesville Planning Commission approves site plan for YMCA, Chiara Canzi, C-ville Weekly, November 11 2009
- Web. http://cville-cvilletom.dotcloud.com/news/article/7435-city-to-adverti/, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, September 18, 2012, retrieved November 8, 2012.
- Web. Council approves McIntire Park lease for YMCA, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, December 18, 2007, retrieved November 8, 2012.
- Web. YMCA preliminary design approval, staff report, Daily Progress, World Media Enterprises, January 5 2010, retrieved 9 Jan 2010.
- Web. Fitness group sues Albemarle and Charlottesville over YMCA, Charlottesville Tomorrow, May 13, 2010, retrieved January 12, 2011.
- Web. VA Supreme Court to hear YMCA case of fitness clubs vs. Albemarle, Brian Wheeler, Charlottesvillee Tomorrow, August 22, 2011, retrieved August 23, 2011.
- Web. Virginia Supreme Court dismisses case against YMCA, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, January 10, 2013, retrieved January 14, 2013.
- Web. New YMCA further delayed by Virginia Supreme Court, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, November 11, 2012, retrieved November 12, 2012.
- Web. Lease extension for planned YMCA OK’d, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, December 18, 2012, retrieved January 14, 2013.
- Web. YMCA working out construction details for spring groundbreaking, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, February 18, 2013, retrieved February 19, 2013.
- Web. YMCA Launches Capital Campaign for Charlottesville Project, Rachel Menitoff, NBC29, May 1, 2015, retrieved May 4, 2015.
- Web. Jefferson School may get local historic designation, Rachana Dixit, Daily Progress, World Media Enterprises, December 12, 2010, retrieved December 13, 2010.