Number Nothing or 0 Court Square is a historic building in Court Square.
Number Nothing was built in the 1820s as a mercantile store that never received a proper address. It was originally owned by Sam Leicht Jr. and John R. Jones. There was a stone block outside the building that served as a marker for auctioning off both goods and slaves until 1865.
On February 23, 1995 “Number Nothing” was recognized by the Albemarle Charlottesville Historical Society as a historic landmark.
The building is unofficially located at “0” Court Sq. Charlottesville, VA 22902 on the southeast corner of Park and East Jefferson Streets.
“Number Nothing” is a proportional brick building with a low pitched roof and black shutters by each window. The building is a temple form structure, common to early residential housing. It is possible that the design of the two story tall-building was influenced by some of the Jeffersonian architecture present in the University of Virginia’s early buildings.
|This article does not cite any references or sources. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources (ideally, using inline citations). Unsourced material may be challenged and removed.|