Lewis and Clark Exploratory Center
The Lewis and Clark Exploratory Center is a hands-on museum and exhibition space located in Darden-Towe Park.  It finally opened in November 2015 after multiple construction-related delays.  A grand opening will be held in the spring of 2016. 
On November 16, 2015, City Council agreed to forgive a loan it made to the center to pay for cost overruns experienced when rock was discovered at the foundation.
Work to build the center began in 1996 with an exploratory committee. City Council held a public hearing on awarding a lease for 18 acres in Darden-Towe Park on July 21, 2003. At the time, a pedestrian bridge crossing the Rivanna River was proposed as was a vehicular connection to Route 0. 
|This article is a stub. You can help cvillepedia by expanding it.|
Board of Directors
- Heather Moore Riser, President
- Francis McQ. Lawrence, Esq., Past President
- Sally H. Thomas, Vice President
- Malou Stark, Assistant Treasurer
- Christopher L. McLean, Immediate Past President
- Anna Berkes
- Kenneth C. Boyd
- John Conover
- Anne B. Hemenway
- Amy Hill
- Satyendra Huja
- Chauncey Hutter
- Eric Johnson
- Valerie L’Herrou
- Dan Mahon
- Diana Marchibroda
- Lonnie Murray
- Alexandria Searls, Executive Director
- Web. , Lewis and Clark Exploratory Center, retrieved February 2, 2012.
- Web. Lewis and Clark Exploratory Center Opens in Albemarle County, NBC29, November 8, 2015, retrieved November 9, 2015.
- Web. Long-awaited Lewis and Clark center set to officially open in May, Chris Suarez, Daily Progress, World Media Enterprises, November 8, 2015, retrieved November 9, 2015.
- Web. Charlottesville City Council meeting minutes, .pdf, Council Chambers, City of Charlottesville, July 21, 2003.