Belmont House is one of Charlottesville's individually protected properties, meaning any exterior changes or potential demolition would have to be approved by the Board of Architectural Review. The house is located at 759 Belmont Avenue It was also known as the Belle-Mont House at other times in its history.
The house was built circa 1790 by John Carr, who was a clerk of the District Court of Albemarle County and the first clerk of the Charlottesville District Court. It is located at one of the highest spots in the Belmont area. 
A brick fronting was added to the building in 1937, by which time it was being used as an apartment complex. 
Details from Charlottesville Landmark Survey
“Belmont is an unusually large brick house seven bays in length, originally one room in width with a central stair hall. A great many changes have occurred in is long history. The main section is two stories on a raised basement with 9 over 9 windows on the first floor having six pane windows for the basement beneath them and 6 over 6 windows on the second floor. There are Jack arches over the first floor windows and the second floor windows almost touch the deep wooden cornice attached to a brick projection under the roof line. There are no windows on either end wall and the chimneys are flush with the end walls projecting from the gently sloping parapet gable. In the middle of the Belmont Ave. side is a projecting wing end gable to the street that was added by the present owner. It is half the size of the original building and both stories are brick. It is attached where a larger frame addition once was that reached the edge of present Belmont Ave. Therewere also several dependencies shown as late as 1890 where the street now is. The other side of the building is the original front and now has a large two story neoclassical revival portico and is the same height as the outer windows, while the second floor windows on either side of it under the portico are 9 over 9. The entrance door is under the upper doors’ balcony and has a Greek Revival door frame with shouldered architrace trim. The pedimented portico is supported by four square paneled columns resting on a raised brick base. The entrance bay is wider than the end spaces and the whole one bay in depth. From this porch an extension and symmetrical stairways have been added by the present owner.”
Deprecated: The each() function is deprecated. This message will be suppressed on further calls in /home/cvillepe/public_html/mediawiki/extensions/Widgets/smarty/libs/sysplugins/smarty_internal_compilebase.php on line 78
- "Charlottesville : Architectural Design Control District and Individually Protected Property Information." Charlottesville : Home. Web. 10 Aug. 2010. <http://www.charlottesville.org/Index.aspx?page=812>.
- Web. City of Charlottesville Strategic Investment Area Plan, Cunningham Quill, Cunningham Quill, December 13, 2013, retrieved July 28, 2014.
- Web. Belmont - A History of a Neighborhood, James H. Buck Jr., Paper for James Kinard's Local History course, May 1980, retrieved July 28, 2014.