Ash Lawn-Highland is the historic home of President James Monroe and his wife, Elizabeth Kortright Monroe. The 535-acre working farm, and performing arts site is located in Albemarle County President Monroe purchased Ash Lawn-Highland in 1793 and made it his family's official residence from 1799 to 1823.
|This article is a stub. You can help cvillepedia by expanding it.|
|This topic is well-covered by the wikipedia article Ash Lawn-Highland|
Ash Lawn-Highland was opened for to the public as a tourist location in 1931 by Jay Winston and Helen Lambert Johns, who operated and maintained the property until the Johns' death in 1974. Upon the Johns' passing, Ash Lawn was given to the College of William and Mary, alma mater of James Monroe. The College initiated new programs in restoration and interpretation at Ash Lawn-Highland after officially accepting the the gift from the Johns.
Today, much the neighboring Monticello, Ash Lawn-Highland is open for regular visitation and tours and is a revered weeding and event location. The College of William and Mary, with the help of experts in the fields of historic restoration and preservation, has made a consistent effort to maintain the historical nature of the property.
Albemarle County Fair
- Web. Ash Lawn-Highland Home Page, retrieved 07 Jan. 2011.
- Web. Ash Lawn-Highland names new Director, Daily Progress Staff, The Daily Progress, August 28, 2012, retrieved August 29, 2012.
- Web. Like a phoenix: AlbCo Fair rebuilds... at Ash Lawn, Hawes Spencer, The Hook, Better Publications LLC, 9 Mar 2012