5th Congressional District of Virginia
|This topic is well-covered by the wikipedia article Virginia's 5th Congressional District|
The district is generally south of Albemarle, containing parts of the surrounding Greene County Nelson County, Fluvanna County and Buckingham County, and further afield, Campbell, Bedford, Cumberland, Appomattox, Prince Edward, Charlotte, Lunenburg, Franklin, Henry, Pittsylvania, Halifax, Mecklenburg, Brunswick, Fauquier, Rappahannock and Madison County, as well as the cities of Bedford and Danville.
The Republican candidate is State Senator 5th Congressional District of Virginia on wikipedia. 
Garrett was selected at a convention on May 14, 2016.  Other candidates were entrpreneur Jim McKelvey, Michael Del Rosso and Joseph Whited.    Andrew Griffin had been a candidate but dropped out of the race.
Five people are seeking the Democratic nomination to face freshman incumbent Tom Garrett. The Democrats will a convention rather than a primary.
The Democratic candidates are: 
- Web. Cage drops out of 5th District race, Chris Suarez, Daily Progress, World Media Enterprises, January 25, 2016, retrieved January 25, 2016.
- Web. , retrieved May 16, 2016.
- Web. Four battle for GOP nomination in 5th District, Daily Progress, World Media Enterprises, May 8, 2016, retrieved May 9, 2016.
- Web. Ballotpedia - Virginia's 5th Congressional District election 2016, Ballotpedia, retrieved January 6, 2016.
- Web. National intelligence advisor enters race for 5th House of Representative seat, Alex Rohr, Lynchburg News & Advance, January 26, 2016, retrieved January 26, 2016.
- Web. Lynchburg man becomes 5th GOP candidate for Hurt’s seat, Dean Seal, Lynchburg News & Advance, February 5, 2016, retrieved February 7, 2016.
- Web. US House of Representatives District 5, Virginia Public Access Project, retrieved January 29, 2018.