Template:On this day/April 17
- 1861 – Civil War: The 19th Virginia Infantry service begins at Charlottesville, when Virginia secedes from the United States. Two militia companies, the Monticello Guard and the Albemarle Rifles, along with two companies, the Southern Guard and the Sons of Liberty, formed in front of the Charlottesville Court House.
- 1973 – Miller School of Albemarle added to Virginia Landmarks Register.
- 1990 – Casa Maria added to the Virginia Landmarks Register.
- 1991 – Arrowhead added to the Virginia Landmarks Register.
- 2017 – James Willy Jones is recognized by Charlottesville City Council for being the first African-American member of the Charlottesville Police Department.