Stormwater utility fee
A stormwater utility fee can be levied to raise funds for localities to repair and replace pipes that convey stormwater through them. Funds can also be used for 'best management practices' to slow down the velocity of stormwater. Such programs are potentially required to help urban localities in Virginia obtain permits to operate municipal separate storm sewer systems (MS4). 
|This article is a stub. You can help cvillepedia by expanding it.|
On February 19, 2013, Charlottesville City Council (2012-2013) enacted a fee that would go into effect in January 2014 to pay for the city's water resources protection program. The bill is based on the amount of impervious surfaces on a piece of property. The council also passed a resolution to form the Water Resources Protection Program Advisory Committee, with the addition of the language “between seven and eleven committee members”.
Albemarle County studied the issue for many years before putting the idea on hold in the summer of 2018.   Both need to comply with the Chesapeake Bay TMDL. The county will hold a meeting on the issue on as of July 21, 2015 at Northside Library. A committee of stakeholders has narrowly recommended levying a fee in Albemarle. 
Albemarle supervisors reaffirmed support for the fee in September 2016.  The advisory group has resumed meeting and the goal is to have a public hearing on the fee in the summer of 2018.  However, they took the idea off the table in the summer of 2018 following public opposition and after reaching consensus that charging a fee for the whole county was not feasible. 
- Web. County public works plan for stormwater mandate, Aaron Richardson, Daily Progress, Lee Enterprises, March 25, 2013, retrieved March 27, 2013.
- Web. Albemarle supervisors briefed on stormwater fee recommendations, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, October 7, 2015, retrieved October 12, 2015.
- Web. Albemarle supervisors reaffirm support for stormwater fee, Sean Tubbs, News Article, Charlottesville Tomorrow, September 13, 2016, retrieved January 11, 2017.
- Web. Albemarle still planning stormwater utility fee in 2019, Sean Tubbs, News Article, Charlottesville Tomorrow, July 5, 2017, retrieved July 11, 2017.
- Web. County of Albemarle, Albemarle County Board of Supervisors Minutes, Albemarle County Board of Supervisors, Albemarle County, April 12, 2018, retrieved October 22, 2019.