Proffit is a community in Albemarle County. It surrounds the Proffit Historic District, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Proffit dates to around 1870 when former slaves John Coles and Benjamin Brown purchased land from W. G. Carr. Plans were made to lay out a village, which became home to a community of freed African-Americans.
The community went through several name changes, including "Egypt" and "Bethel", before settling on "Proffit".
Proffit was listed in the Virginia Landmark Register in 1998 and the National Register of Historic Places in 1999.
Proffit is located on Proffit Road, north of its intersection with Polo Grounds Road. While in in Albemarle's Rural Area 2, this is only slightly east of the Community of Hollymead designated growth area. Proffit is represented by the Rivanna Magisterial District. Coordinates:
|This article does not cite any references or sources. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources (ideally, using inline citations). Unsourced material may be challenged and removed.|