Mayor of Charlottesville
The Mayor of Charlottesville is selected from among the five members of the Charlottesville City Council. The position is largely ceremonial, though the Mayor does have the power to set the agenda for Council meetings.
Charlottesville held its first mayoral election in 1854 when the position was separate from City Council. this lasted until 1888 when the city was incorporated.  Charlottesville's first mayor was R.F. Harris.
List of mayors - current form of government
Council Presidents serving as mayors.
- From 1922 to 1928, under the modified commission plan, the municipal authorities of the city consisted of a council of three members elected at-large; each councilmen held office for two years and received an annual salary of three hundred dollars each (except the president of the council, who was mayor, and received five hundred dollars) from the city for their services.
- From 1928 to present, the city has operated under the council-manager form of government, featuring five members elected at-large, a mayor, who officially represents the city on the state, national, and international levels. However, unlike in a strong mayor-council government, the mayor is a regular voting member of city council with little or no legal privileges that may distinguish them from other council members.
- See also: List of City Councilors
|Form||#||Mayor (Council President)||Term start||Term end||Terms||Party|
|Commission||1||John R. Morris||September 1, 1922||August 31, 1924||1||Democratic|
|Commission||2||J. Y. Brown||September 1, 1924||August 31, 1930||3||Democratic|
|Council-Manager||3||Fred L. Watson||September 1, 1930||August 31, 1932||1||Democratic|
|Council-Manager||4||F. W. Twyman||September 1, 1932||August 31, 1934||1||Democratic|
|Council-Manager||5||W. Dan Haden||September 1, 1934||August 31, 1938||3||Democratic|
|Council-Manager||6||George T. Huff||September 1, 1938||August 31, 1940||1||Democratic|
|Council-Manager||(5)||W. Dan Haden||September 1, 1940||August 31, 1942||3||Democratic|
|Council-Manager||7||J. E. Gleason||September 1, 1942||August 31, 1944||1||Democratic|
|Council-Manager||8||Roscoe S. Adams||September 1, 1944||August 31, 1946||2||Democratic|
|Council-Manager||9||Gus K. Tebell||September 1, 1948||August 31, 1950||1||Democratic|
|Council-Manager||10||Strother F. Hamm||September 1, 1950||August 31, 1952||1||Democratic|
|Council-Manager||11||William R. Hill||September 1, 1952||August 31, 1954||1||Democratic|
|Council-Manager||12||Sol B. Weinberg||September 1, 1954||August 31, 1956||1||Democratic|
|Council-Manager||13||R. M. Davis||September 1, 1956||August 31, 1958||1||Democratic|
|Council-Manager||14||Thomas J. Michie||September 1, 1958||August 31, 1960||1||Democratic|
|Council-Manager||15||Louis L. Scribner||September 1, 1960||August 31, 1962||1||Democratic|
|Council-Manager||16||Bernard J. Haggerty||September 1, 1962||August 31, 1964||1||Democratic|
|Council-Manager||17||Lindsey B. Mount||September 1, 1964||August 31, 1966||1||Democratic|
|Council-Manager||18||Burkett A. Reynolds||September 1, 1966||August 31, 1968||1||Democratic|
|Council-Manager||19||"Dutch" Vogt||September 1, 1968||August 31, 1970||1||Republican|
|Council-Manager||20||Mitchell Van Yahres||September 1, 1970||August 31, 1972||1||Democratic|
|Council-Manager||21||Francis H. Fife||July 1, 1972||June 30, 1974||1||Democratic|
|Council-Manager||22||Charles Barbour||July 1, 1974||June 30, 1976||1||Democratic|
|Council-Manager||23||Nancy K. O'Brien||July 1, 1976||June 30, 1978||1||Democratic|
|Council-Manager||24||Laurence Brunton||July 1, 1978||June 30, 1980||1||Republican|
|Council-Manager||25||Frank Buck||July 1, 1980||August 31, 1988||4||Democratic|
|Council-Manager||26||"Bitsy" Waters||September 1, 1988||August 31, 1990||1||Democratic|
|Council-Manager||27||Alvin Edwards||September 1, 1990||August 31, 1992||1||Democratic|
|Council-Manager||28||Tom Vandever||September 1, 1992||August 31, 1994||1||Democratic|
|Council-Manager||29||David Toscano||September 1, 1994||August 31, 1996||1||Democratic|
|Council-Manager||30||Kay Slaughter||September 1, 1996||August 31, 1998||1||Democratic|
|Council-Manager||31||Virginia Daugherty||July 1, 1998||July 3, 2000||1||Democratic|
|Council-Manager||32||Blake Caravati||July 3, 2000||July 1, 2002||1||Democratic|
|Council-Manager||33||Maurice Cox||July 1, 2002||July 1, 2004||1||Democratic|
|Council-Manager||34||David Brown||July 1, 2004||January 7, 2008||2||Democratic|
|Council-Manager||35||Dave Norris||January 7, 2008||January 3, 2012||2||Democratic|
|Council-Manager||36||Satyendra Huja||January 3, 2012||December 31, 2015||2||Democratic|
|Council-Manager||37||Mike Signer||January 1, 2016||December 31, 2017||1||Democratic|
|Council-Manager||38||Nikuyah Walker||January 1, 2018||Independent|
- Web. Charlottesville Urban Design and Affordable Housing, Kenneth A. Schwarz, Institute for Advanced Technology in the Humanities, retrieved November 29, 2012.
- Web. Yesteryears: For Charlottesville's first mayor, Christmas season 1886 ended with a bang, David Maurer, Daily Progress, Lee Enterprises, retrieved December 8, 2013.