John Bowie Strange Camp of the United Confederate Veterans (UCV)
The John Bowie Strange Camp was a local Civil War veterans' organization. A member of the Virginia Division of the United Confederate Veterans (UCV), the organization was named in honor of Confederate hero Lieutenant Colonel John Bowie Strange (VMI 1842). Co-founded in 1889 by R. T. W. Duke, Sr., this camp "was only the fourteenth of its kind in any Southern state and symbolized the depth of Confederate feeling in the community." The UCV itself was organized in 1889, and held its last reunion in 1951.
After the Civil War, the two sides generated a type of veterans program. The Confederates had the United Confederate Veterans (UCV), the Union counterpart was the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR). The local chapter of the UCV was supported by local businessmen and the Albemarle Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy.
The UCV was similar to the GAR, however the pensions generated by these groups were not as high paying as the Union.
There had been numerous local veterans associations in the South. The organizations grew rapidly throughout the 1890's culminating with 1,555 camps represented at the 1898 reunion. The next few years marked the peak of UCV membership, lasting until 1903 or 1904, when veterans were starting to die off and the organization went into a gradual decline.
- Thomas L. Rosser
- R. T. W. Duke, Sr.
- R. T. W. Duke, Jr.
- R. H. Fife
- A. L. Grigsby
- A. L. Long
- C. S. Peyton
- C. S. Venable
- John D. Watson
- C. C. Wertenbaker
United Confederate Veterans (UCV)
The UCV outline its purposes and structure in a written constitution, based on military lines. Their declared purpose was emphatically nonmilitary – to foster "social, literary, historical, and benevolent" ends.
Other Virginia Camps
Members held appropriate UCV "ranks" with command from General Headquarters at the top to local camps (companies) at the bottom.
R. E. Lee Camp No. 1, of Richmond
Established in 1883 and chartered in 1884 as the first permanent Confederate veterans organization in the United States. The Lee Camp Soldiers' Home was established in 1884 to provide for needy, often disabled, Confederate veterans with no other means of financial support. The camp was located in Richmond's West End. The farmhouse contained the home's headquarters and rooms for commissioned officers; enlisted men occupied ten cottages built on the property. Support buildings included a hospital, dining hall, recreation center, laundry, print shop, steam shop, storage building, workshop, and chicken house. Veterans also built a nondenominational chapel in 1887. The camp's heyday was from 1890 to 1910, when approximately 300 veterans were in residence at any given time. The last resident died in 1941 and the camp property reverted to the Commonwealth of Virginia.
A. P. Hill Camp, of Petersburg
- https://small.library.virginia.edu/collections/featured/duke-family-papers/passions/lost-cause/ The Lost Cause: R. T. W. Duke, Jr. and the Romance of Confederate Defeat