Deirdre “Dede” Smith
|Deirdre “Dede” Smith|
Dede Smith in June 2011
|For term to start||2012|
Charlottesville School Board
|Term Start||July 2000|
|Term End||June 2006|
|Date of birth||October 1, 1955
|Place of birth||Springfield, Vermont|
|Children||Chris & Leigh|
|Alma mater||University of Michigan, B.S. Microbiology|
|This biographical article is a stub. You can help cvillepedia by expanding it.|
Deirdre "Dede" Smith is a former member of the Charlottesville School Board and an active member of the group Citizens for a Sustainable Water Plan. She also served for a time as director of the Ivy Creek Natural Area. In 2004, Smith was selected as one of the distinguished dozen award given by the Daily Progress.
Smith served as the director of the Ivy Creek Foundation from 1993-2007.
On June 13, Dede Smith announced that she will seek the Democratic nomination to run for Charlottesville City Council.
Smith has stated that her highest priority is "to balance the positive aspects of growth and development with the commitment to preserve the natural and historic beauty of Charlottesville."
Meadow Creek Parkway
As a member of Citizens for a Sustainable Water Plan, and with primary contenders Blount, Brevy Cannon, and James Halfaday, Smith supports dredging rather than new Ragged Mountain Dam sconstruction.
Smith favors subsidies to help residents in moderate and low-income housing make their homes more energy and water efficient, supports adult education in GED, literacy and skills training for residents lacking the degree and skills needed to get a job. Smith stresses enforcement of Section 3 of the HUD Act to assure that residents are first in line for jobs created as redevelopment of public housing occurs.
Smith encourages use of alternative and public transportation to offset the need for more roads, including providing a network of dedicated byways for bikes and pedestrians. Smith would like to expand the Free Trolley model to more popular destinations such as Barracks Road and along other major arteries.
- Web. Charlottesville City Council meeting minutes, .pdf, Council Chambers, City of Charlottesville, 30 June 2000.
- Web. , Will Goldsmith, C-VILLE Weekly, Portico Publications, retrieved 28 May 2011. Print. 9 May 2006 .
- Web. Charlottesville City Council meeting minutes, .pdf, Council Chambers, City of Charlottesville, 30 June 2003.
- Web. List of Daily Progress Distinguished Dozen, Daily Progress, Lee Enterprises, retrieved November 15, 2010.
- Web. 
- Web. Democratic hopefuls weigh in on the issues, Graham Moomaw, Daily Progress, Lee Enterprises, 14 August 2011, retrieved 15 August 2011.
- Web. FLAWS- Tripled rates, spun numbers, and Conservancy conflicts: Why the war on dredging slogs on, Hawes Spencer, The Hook, Better Publications LLC, Thursday Jul 28th, 2011
- Web. Piedmont Sierra Club endorses Blount and Smith for City Council, Chiara Canzi, C-VILLE Weekly, Portico Publications, August 4th 03:26pm