Cvillepedia:Featured article/August 2012
This month's featured article: Virginia L. Murray Elementary
Virginia L. Murray Elementary School is an Albemarle County public elementary school providing pre-K through 5th grade. The school is part of the western feeder pattern. Students from Murray will attend Henley Middle School and graduate from Western Albemarle High School. 
The mascot is the Mustang. 
Murray Elementary was established as a school for African-Americans in 1960 and was desegregated in 1965. The school was named for Virginia L. Murray (1897-1959), a Virginia native and the first African-American supervisor in Albemarle County. Murray was a passionate advocate for education and consistently sought to improve the quality of the public education system. The school was closed for construction in 1988 and students were moved to Meriwether Lewis Elementary School for two years before returning to a renovated Murray in 1990.