Carroll's Tea Room

From Cvillepedia
Revision as of 09:48, 25 March 2019 by RebeccaColeman (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Carroll's Tea Room was a restaurant and tavern at the southwest corner of Emmet Street and Barracks Road. It was constructed in 1937 as a gas station. In 1939, it was converted to "Spencer's Tea Room," which it remained until it was purchased in 1945 by Carroll J. Williams. Carroll's Tea Room was a popular hangout for University students in the 1940s and 1950s.[1]

The tea room had its license to sell beer suspended for 30 days in 1951 following a disturbance on April 15 of that year. [2]

Logo-small25.jpg This article is a stub. You can help cvillepedia by expanding it.


  1. Book. [ Images of America: Charlottesville], Arcadia Publishing
  2. Web. Carroll's Beer Permit Suspended by Board for 30 days, Staff Reports, Daily Progress Digitized Microfilm, Lindsay family, June 8, 1951, retrieved June 8, 2016 from University of Virginia Library. Print. June 8, 1951 page 3.