The Whole Foods grocery store chain built a new store and three-story parking garage at the corner of Hydraulic Road and the planned Hillsdale Drive Extension in 2011. The project was developed by Riverbend Management operating under the name Meadowbrook Creek LLC. The new store has 17,000 square feet of space. There is also a bar serving eight tap beers inside.
The grocery store was completed in the summer of 2011, and the grand opening was held on June 7, 2011.
In May 2010, Kmart Corp. filed a lawsuit against Meadowbrook Creek, alleging that land Kmart leases next to Whole Foods is being used for permanent improvements that Kmart's lease forbids, specifically beginning construction of the Hillsdale Drive Extended and other improvements within the boundaries of Kmart's leased property.
- Web. New Whole Foods waiting on site plan, Shea Connolly, C-VILLE Weekly, Portico Publications, 10 Feb 2009, retrieved 19 July 2013.
- Web. Development - Red dirt alert!, Cedermark, Andrew, C-VILLE Weekly, 15 Dec. 2009, retrieved 15 Dec. 2009.
- Web. Final Touches for Whole Foods Grand Opening, NBC 29, 6 June 2011, retrieved 9 July 2013.
- 'Commission recommends approval for new Whole Foods site plan', 7 Jul. 2008. Charlottesville Tomorrow. 23 Mar. 2009.
- Web. Kmart sues over Whole Foods construction, Rachana Dixit, Daily Progress, Lee Enterprises, May 10, 2010
|An article on Wikipedia has information about Whole Foods in areas beyond Albemarle County's borders.|