Wendell Wood is President and Chairman of United Land Corporation. He has been a land developer in Albemarle County since the early 1960s and has sold tracts of land for the development of Barracks Road Shopping Center, Fashion Square Mall, Hollymead Town Center, Wal-Mart and the U.S. Army's National Ground Intelligence Center, among other projects.
|This biographical article is a stub. You can help cvillepedia by expanding it.|
Wood attended Mars Hill College in North Carolina. 
In 2000, Wood ranked 65th in Virginia Business Magazine's "The Virginia 100", which ranks the one hundred wealthiest individuals in the Commonwealth. At that time he was estimated to have a net worth of approximately $160 million.
At a City Council public hearing in October 1983, Wood spoke against $9.5 million in bonds for the Charlottesville Redevelopment and Housing Authority to pay a private developer for what would become the Omni Hotel. Wood was opposed to the use of public dollars, but added if they were used, a local developer should be doing the work. 
Wood has proposed a 1,902-home development called Somerset Farms along Route 20 south of Charlottesville. However, the development would be just outside the designated growth area. The Albemarle Board of Supervisors last discussed the development in November 2012, when it split as to whether it should consider the proposal.
- "King of the Road: The unstoppable Wendell Wood", Dave McNair, The Hook. 05 Feb. 2009. <http://www.readthehook.com/Stories/2009/02/05/COVER-wood-E.aspx>
- Print: Of Personal Interest, Staff reports, Daily Progress, Lindsay family January 5, 1960, Page A7.
- "The Virginia 100, Page 7." Virginia Business Magazine. <http://www.virginiabusiness.com/edit/magazine/yr2000/june00/va100/list7.html>
- Web. Charlottesville City Council meeting minutes, .pdf, Council Chambers, City of Charlottesville, October 24, 1983.
- Web. Albemarle planners look favorably on expansion of growth area along Route 20, Charlottesville Tomorrow, June 8, 2011, retrieved January 5, 2012.
- Web. Board stalemates on Somerset Farm expansion despite road promise, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, 18 Nov 2013, retrieved 31 July 2013.