Virginia L. Murray Elementary School
Virginia L. Murray Elementary School is an Albemarle County public elementary school providing pre-K through 5th grade. The school is part of the western feeder pattern. Students from Murray will attend Henley Middle School and graduate from Western Albemarle High School. 
The mascot is the Mustang. 
Murray Elementary was established as a school for African-Americans in 1960 and was desegregated in 1965. The school was named for Virginia L. Murray (1897-1959), a Virginia native and the first African-American supervisor in Albemarle County. Murray was a passionate advocate for education and consistently sought to improve the quality of the public education system. The school was closed for construction in 1988 and students were moved to Meriwether Lewis Elementary School for two years before returning to a renovated Murray in 1990.
In 2012, Murray was granted a three-year waiver from annual accreditation. The waiver was issued by the Virginia Department of Education to Murray for achieving a minimum 95% pass rate of all four Standards of Learning subject areas for two consecutive years.
Description from 2019 State of the Division Annual Report
"Murray Elementary School, a PK-5 elementary school, works daily to develop high levels of both the cognitive growth and social-emotional well-being of the students in our learning community. We are committed to connecting deeply with each child and collectively owning student growth from grade to grade through regular vertical teacher sharing. Murray also is committed to developing a growth mindset in children and developing intrinsic motivation in each child." 
The current principal of Murray Elementary is Alison Dwier-Selden.
The following is a list of people who have served as principal.
|2019 - present||Alison Dwier-Selden|
|2009 - 2019||Mark Green|
|2003 - 2009||Andrew Grider|
|2000 - 2003||David Rogers |
|1991 - 2000||Timothy Frazier|
|1987 - 1988||Sylvia Henderson|
|1968 - 1988||Elizabeth Bailey|
|1966 - 1968||Ora Starnes|
|1960 - 1966||Otis Lee|
Virginia L. Murray is located at 3251 Morgantown Road.
- Web. Murray Elementary School Fact Sheet, retrieved November 18, 2019.
- Web. Murray Lewis Elementary School, School Quality Profile, Virginia Department of Education, retrieved November 18, 2019.
- Web. Governor McDonnell & Board of Education Honor High-Performing Virginia Schools & School Divisions, Virginia Department of Education, January 5, 2012, retrieved May 31, 2012.
- Web. Two area schools granted accreditation waivers, Daily Progress, June 19, 2012, retrieved June 19, 2012.
- Web. State of the Division: A Work In Progress, Office of Strategic Communications, Annual Report, Albemarle County Public Schools, retrieved November 17, 2019.
- Web. After 43 Years in Education, Dave Rogers to Retire as Sutherland Middle School Principal, Phil Giarmita, Press Release, Albemarle County Schools, June 13, 2014, retrieved February 24, 2018.
- School website
- Virginia School Quality Profile
- 2018-19 Strategic Improvement Plan
- [https://www.k12albemarle.org/school/mes/Documents/MuES%2019-20_SIP.pdf 2019-20 Strategic Improvement Plan:
- 2019 Elementary School Climate Survey