Template:On this day/April 17
- 1861 – Civil War: Virginia secedes, the faculty of the University of Virginia installs the Confederate flag on the Rotunda dome. Students briefly displayed the flag on the dome on February 26th, said to be the first time the flag was flown in the state.
- 1861 – Two militia companies, the Monticello Guard and the Albemarle Rifles, along with two companies, the Southern Guard and the Sons of Liberty, formed in front of the Charlottesville Court House; the beginning of the 19th Virginia Infantry service during Civil War.
- 1973 – Miller School of Albemarle added to Virginia Landmarks Register.
- 1990 – Casa Maria added to the Virginia Landmarks Register.
- 1991 – Arrowhead added to the Virginia Landmarks Register.
- 2017 – James Willy Jones is recognized by Charlottesville City Council for being the first African-American member of the Charlottesville Police Department.