853 West Main Street (formerly 853, 855, and 901 W. Main)
|Use Type||Mixed-Use Apartments & Retail|
|Lot Size||2.517 acres|
|Gross Floor Area||345,790 square feet|
|Residential units||189 units (644 bedrooms)|
|Non-Residential||7,000sf commercial (originally 15,530sf)|
|Parking||499 spaces (structured)|
|Development Firm||Landmark Properties|
|Approval Process||Special Use Permit|
|Approval Conditions||No more than 499 parking spaces, unleased spaces must be made available to the public.
Traffic study in conjunction with the traffic engineer, implement recommendations in relation to bicycle, pedestrian, and traffic signalling at the cost of the applicant.
Courtyard must be closed off from West Main Street, in order to provide at least 7,000sf of retail on the West Main frontage
5' easement on the east side of the building for future access
Pedestrian access way on the west side of the building
Bicycle parking: internal spaces equal to at least 20% of on-site parking spaces; at least 1 publicly accessible space per 1000sf commercial space.
|Construction Started||November 2016|
|Construction Completed||August 2018|
The developer's local representative is John Matthews.
- August 20, 2013 – BAR grants demolition permit for Republic Plaza 
- September 10, 2013 – Charlottesville Planning Commission holds initial meeting to discuss the project 
- September 17, 2013 – BAR holds review of the project 
- October 8, 2013 – Planning Commission recommends approval 
- November 4, 2013 – Council approves special use permit 
- January, 2014 – BAR grants certificate of appropriateness 
- May 2016 – BAR amends certificate of appropriateness and develop says construction could begin by the end of the year. 
- November 2016 – Fences erected around the Republic Plaza in advance of demolition.
- December 2016 – Developer makes payment of $665,000 to the Charlottesville Affordable Housing Fund 
- January 2018 – Developer makes payment of $50,000 to the city for workforce development training 
- August 2018 – The Standard opens to residents, finishes major construction
- October 3, 2018 – A kitchen fire injures 1 and displaces 14.
|This article is a stub. You can help cvillepedia by expanding it.|
Looking northwest from West Main Street onto the bones of The Standard
- Web. Republic Plaza slated for demolition to clear way for six story building, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, August 19, 2013, retrieved August 5, 2014.
- Web. BAR approves demolition for 25-year-old building on West Main, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, August 20, 2013, retrieved August 5, 2014.
- Web. New West Main housing complex critiqued, Charlottesville Tomorrow, September 10, 2013, retrieved August 5, 2014.
- Web. Charlottesville Planning Commission meeting minutes, .pdf, City of Charlottesville, September 10, 2013.
- Web. City reviews impacts of more housing for university students on West Main, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, September 23, 2013, retrieved August 5, 2014.
- Web. Commission recommends approval for West Main apartments, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, October 13, 2013, retrieved August 5, 2014.
- Web. Charlottesville Planning Commission meeting minutes, .pdf, City of Charlottesville, October 8, 2013.
- Web. Council approves second West Main student housing building, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, November 5, 2013, retrieved August 5, 2014.
- Web. Charlottesville City Council meeting minutes, .pdf, Council Chambers, City of Charlottesville, November 4, 2013.
- Web. Resolution Granting a Special Use Permit for Increased Residential Density for Property Located at 853, 855, and 901 West Main Street, City of Charlottesville, 2023-11-04, retrieved 2023-03-23.
- Web. January 2014 Charlottesville Board of Architectural Review minutes, Minutes, City of Charlottesville, retrieved October 8, 2017.
- Web. Six-story West Main apartment project moving forward, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, May 17, 2016, retrieved May 18, 2016.
- Web. Developer of The Standard to pay $665,000 to city housing fund, Sean Tubbs, News Article, Charlottesville Tomorrow, December 5, 2016, retrieved April 22, 2018.
- Web. Agenda for January 16, 2018 City Council, City of Charlottesville, January 16, 2018, retrieved 2018-10-06.
- Web. UVA students back for the new semester, Brianna Hamblin, CBS19, August 25, 2018, retrieved 2018-10-06.
- Web. Fire at The Standard apartment complex displaces 14, Daily Progress, Lee Enterprises, October 4, 2018, retrieved 2018-10-06.