Schnabel Engineering Associates
Schnabel Engineering Associates is an engineering firm involved in area water-supply projects. Founded in 1956 by Jim Schnabel, the company now has 20 offices including one in Charlottesville.
Participation in the community water supply plan
Schnabel was retained in September 2009 by the Rivanna Water and Sewer Authority to prepare a preliminary design for the new Ragged Mountain Dam. This contract was worth $1.3 million. The firm replaces Gannett Fleming, which worked during 2007-2008 on the preliminary dam design and geotechnical research before the project was temporarily halted in August 2008.
The RWSA also suggested to City Council that they hire Schnabel to prepare a cost estimate for raising the Ragged Mountain Dam, an option City Council has asked be studied. However, Council opted to hire Black & Veatch to conduct the study. 
With negotiations between city and county stalling on the RWSA Board, the Albemarle County Service Authority agreed to pay for the design of the earthen dam to keep the project on schedule. In all, the ACSA has agreed to pay up to $869,000 for the work.  The design is expected to be completed by mid-April. 
Chris Webster is a principal of the firm and will serve as the Project Administrator. Webster works in the firm's Charlottesville office.
- ↑ "Office Locations." Schnabel Engineering Home. Web. 20 Jan. 2010. <http://www.schnabel-eng.com/Company/OfficeLocations/Charlottesville/tabid/82/Location/14/Default.aspx>.
- ↑ Web. Engineering firm with local ties hired to design new Ragged Mountain Dam, Wheeler, Brian A., Charlottesville Tomorrow News Center, Charlottesville Tomorrow, 23 Sept. 2009, retrieved 23 Sept. 2009.
- ↑ Web. Engineer: 1st phase of dam study would cost $188,803, Staff report, Daily Progress, Lee Enterprises, Jan 16 2010
- ↑ Tubbs, Sean J. "City to hire own firm to investigate 13-foot extension of Ragged Mountain Dam." Charlottesville Tomorrow News Center. 21 Jan. 2010. Web. 10 Feb. 2010. <http://cvilletomorrow.typepad.com/charlottesville_tomorrow_/2010/01/council-on-water-supply.html>
- ↑ Web. ACSA will fund earthen dam design, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, October 22, 2010, retrieved February 18, 2011.
- ↑ Web. Albemarle water authority updated on earthen dam, Sean Tubbs, February 18, 2011, retrieved February 18, 2011.
- ↑ "Interview with Chris Webster, Principal, Schnabel Engineering Associates." Personal interview by Brian A. Wheeler. Charlottesville Tomorrow. 22 September 2009.