Sally H. Thomas
Supervisor Sally Thomas (I-Samuel Miller)
|Electoral District||Samuel Miller|
|Term End||Dec. 31, 2009|
|Preceded by||Ed Bain|
|Succeeded by||Duane Snow|
|Preceded by||Charles Martin|
|Succeeded by||Lindsay Dorrier|
|Electoral District||At-Large (Appointed)|
|Date of birth||Oct. 2, 1940
Sally Thomas represented the Samuel Miller District on the Albemarle County Board of Supervisors from 1994 through 2009. She first won election to the board in 1993 as an independent write-in candidate, and was also unopposed in 1997, 2001 and 2005. She announced she would not seek a fifth term on April 8, 2009.
Thomas grew up in a small town in Oregon and has B.A. and M.A.T. degrees from Harvard/Radcliffe in Government and Education. She and her husband, George Thomas, have lived here since 1963, raising two daughters who attended Albemarle County public schools.
Before being elected in a write-in campaign in 1993, Thomas was Director of Governmental and Community Relations at the University of Virginia. Thomas served on the Albemarle County School Board and was president of the local League of Women Voters. Thomas was also appointed to the Albemarle County School Board as the At-Large member during 1980-1983.
Rural area protection
In Charlottesville Tomorrow’s 2005 election Voter Guide, Thomas said protecting the rural area would be her top priority in another term on the Board. In December of 2006, Thomas published an open letter with her recommendations on how to address the County’s goals of preserving its rural fields, farms, and forests from residential development.
Committee Assignments and Appointments
- South Fork Rivanna Reservoir Stewardship Task Force, Chair
- Appointed by Governor Mark Warner to Advisory Commission on Intergovernmental Relations, representing Virginia Association of Counties
- Gubernatorial appointee to Chesapeake Bay Program's Local Government Advisory Commission
- Board liaison with Albemarle County Historic Preservation Committee
- Board liaison with ACE committee
- Former Chair, Metropolitan Planning Organization
- Past President, Virginia Transit Association
- Board of the Lewis and Clark Exploratory Center
- Lewis and Clark Festival planning committee
- AIDS Support Group board member
- Leadership Charlottesville "Leaders' Leader of 2001" award
- Member, Thomas Jefferson Planning District Commission
- Virginia Association of Counties Finance Steering Committee
- Board of Directors, Scenic Virginia
- Member, Thomas Jefferson Sustainability Council
- Graduate, Albemarle County Citizens Police Academy
- Past President, Charlottesville/Albemarle League of Women Voters
- Former Member, Albemarle County School Board
- Former Member, City Social Development Committee
- 1994 "Woman of the Year" Virginia Women's Forum
- Board Liaison for The Mountain Protection Committee
- Past Chairman of Board of Supervisors - 2001, 2002
- Former Chair, Planning and Coordination Council
- Former Chair of Citizens Committee for City-County Cooperation
- Member, Jefferson Area Board for Aging Plan 2020 Advisory Committee
- Former Chair, Thomas Jefferson Venture
- Member, Policy Committee for VDOT's U.S. 29 Corridor Study
- Member, Governor Warner's Natural Resources Partnership
In 2010, Thomas was awarded a planning leadership award from the Virginia chapter of the American Planning Association.
Thomas represented the Samuel Miller district since 1994 when she won the 1993 election in a write-in campaign over Carter Myers by a margin of 192 votes. In all elections since, Thomas has run unopposed.
"I originally ran to give Samuel Miller voters a choice when only one name was on the ballot," said Thomas. "Since then, I’ve been privileged to serve those voters and all the residents of Samuel Miller and the County....I love the job and the responsibility that the voters have given to me, but sixteen years probably is as long as one should stay, so I won't be running for re-election this November."
2005 election for Board of Supervisors
|Sally H. Thomas||4,025||98.80|
|Candidate Profile Resources|
|Candidate||Sally Thomas (I) - Incumbent * WINNER|
|Office||Albemarle County Board of Supervisors, Samuel Miller District|
|Election year||2005 election|
|Candidate interviews by Charlottesville Tomorrow|
|Candidate interview transcript|
|Candidate interview audio|
2001 election for Board of Supervisors
|Sally H. Thomas||3,497||97.19|
1997 election for Board of Supervisors
1993 election for Board of Supervisors
|H. Carter Myers III||2,046|
- 'Sally Thomas announces retirement from Albemarle’s Board of Supervisors', 8 Apr. 2009. Brian Wheeler. Charlottesville Tomorrow. 21 May 2009.
- Web. Local activists call for public action on environmental and sustainability initiatives, Brian Wheeler, Charlottesville Tomorrow News Center, Charlottesville Tomorrow, 2 June 2011, retrieved 20 October 2011.
- Web. Award Winners 2010 Summary, Virginia Chapter of the American Planning Association, retrieved December 1, 2010.