Conceptual plans for Rivanna Plaza
|County Area||Neighborhood 1|
|Location||West side of
US Rt 29 North
|Lot Size||1.416 acres|
|Application #||SDP200800090 (final)
The Rivanna Plaza is a retail development in Albemarle County north of Charlottesville on U.S. Route 29, to be located in front of the AMF Keglers Lanes between the Lowe's home improvement center and the Schewel's furniture store. The current address is 2000 Seminole Trail but that address will be changed in the future when the new access road is complete.
The ground breaking ceremony was held Tuesday, August 30, 2011. Tenants will include the Kiddie Academy, Dunkin' Donuts and Ragazzi's Italian Restaurant The first phase of the project will be comprised of the childcare building (12,500 square feet) and the northern retail building (4,800 square feet). Phase 2 is comprised of the 14,800 square foot southern retail building and will be started when pre-leasing is 60% complete.
Listen to groundbreaking ceremony:
<play audio>File:20110830-rivanna-groundbreaking.MP3 </play audio>
The design features 32,100 square feet of commercial space. The project had been stalled due to construction financing issues. The developer (Rivanna Plaza LLC) filed for bankruptcy in November 2010 in order to buy more time to secure construction financing and a final tenant. The bankruptcy was dismissed in July, 2011.
- Dominion Development Resources provided design services..
- The Albemarle County Board of Supervisors approved Special Use permit SP-2007-056 by a vote of 6:0 on June 11, 2008. Link to staff report
- The preliminary (SDP-2007-00137) and final (SDP-2008-00090) site plans are subject to administrative review (i.e. no action required by Planning Commission or Board of Supervisors).
- Rivanna Plaza LLC files for bankruptcy
On May 5, 2009, Ecorp announced signed leases with Dunkin' Donuts, to include a drive-thru window, and The Learning Experience Childhood Development Center, an early education provider, for up to 200 pre-schoolers. The Learning Experience was subsequently replaced with the Kiddie Academy childcare center.
Ecorp reports on-going negotiations with tenants, with particular interest in businesses serving families using the AMF/Kegler's bowling entertainment center and enrolled in the Kiddie Academy childcare center, and is promoting the proximity to the growing National Ground Intelligence Center. The second phase of the project won't begin construction until a tenants are secured for the third building.
- CBS 19 - Route 29 Shopping Centers Heading in Opposite Directions (August 30, 2011)
- Rivanna Plaza ECorp Real Estate, retrieved 29 Jun 2009
- Web. Developer of major project on U.S. 29 files for Chapter 11, Ted Strong, Daily Progress, Lee Enterprises, November 14, 2010, retrieved November 15, 2010.
- Sample Projects Dominion Development Resources, 2007. 4 July 2009.
- Press Release & Confirmed Tenant Locations, ECorp, May 5, 2009, retrived 29 Jun 2009.