Number Nothing

From Cvillepedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Number Nothing or 0 Court Square is a historic building in Court Square.


Number Nothing was built in the 1820s as a mercantile store that never received a proper address. It was originally owned by Sam Leicht Jr. and John R. Jones. There was a stone block outside the building that served as a marker for auctioning off both goods and slaves until 1865.

On February 23, 1995 “Number Nothing” was recognized by the Albemarle Charlottesville Historical Society as a historic landmark.


The building is unofficially located at “0” Court Sq. Charlottesville, VA 22902 on the southeast corner of Park and East Jefferson Streets.


“Number Nothing” is a proportional brick building with a low pitched roof and black shutters by each window. The building is a temple form structure, common to early residential housing. It is possible that the design of the two story tall-building was influenced by some of the Jeffersonian architecture present in the University of Virginia’s early buildings.