Nicholas Lewis House
|This article is recommended to be merged with: The Farm (property).|
The Nicholas Lewis House is one of Charlottesville's individually protected properties, meaning any exterior changes or potential demolition would have to be approved by the Board of Architectural Review. The house is located at 309 Twelfth Street, NE.
|This article is a stub. You can help cvillepedia by expanding it.|
Originally known as "The Farm," the Nicholas Lewis House was built on land obtained by Nicholas Meriwether in 1735. The house that Meriwether built burned to the ground after a few decades and a new house was built around 1770 by Meriwether's grandson, Nicholas Lewis, after he inherited the property in 1744. All that remains of Lewis' house is the cook's galley, the original house having disappeared. The structure was restored in 2000 by architect Michael Bednar.
- "Charlottesville : Architectural Design Control District and Individually Protected Property Information." Charlottesville : Home. Web. 16 Aug. 2010. <http://www.charlottesville.org/Index.aspx?page=812>.
- Web. Nicholas Lewis House - Charlottesville, Virginia, Michael Bednar, University of Virginia School of Architecture, Charlottesville, Virginia, February, 2002, retrieved July 30, 2012.