MichieHamlett is a multi-service law with attorneys practicing in the areas of commercial law, family law, and personal injury law.
MichieHamlett started in 1946 when Thomas J. Michie returned to Charlottesville after World War II to form a partnership with Junius R. Fishburne, known as Michie and Fishburne. Mr. Michie served as councilor/mayor of Charlottesville for a time. 
The firm located in an office building that had originally been a stable. It was owned by the Michie Company at 601 East Market Street. Remains of the sign painted on the front of the building "Charlottesville Horse and Mule Co." can still be seen. Some said the horses were gone but the mules remained. 
Michie and Fishburne hired John T. Camblos in 1949 and Charles A. Via in 1951. In 1952, Fishburne accepted an offer to become the head of the trust department of People's National Bank (later NationsBank). The firm became Michie, Camblos & Via.
In 1958, Via left the firm and the firm merged with Robert E. Taylor and Edward H. Deets and continued the practice of law under the name of Michie, Taylor, Camblos and Deets. Lewis A. Martin Jr. subsequently became a partner and the firm became Michie, Taylor, Camblos, Deets & Martin. Mr. Taylor served as president of the Virginia State Bar in 1958.
Thomas J. Michie, Jr., joined the firm in 1959. In 1961, President John F. Kennedy appointed the elder Michie as the United States District Judge for the Western District of Virginia. The firm became Taylor, Camblos, Deets, Martin & Michie. Mr. Michie, Jr., was chairman of the Charlottesville School Board and a member of the Virginia General Assembly for 20 years, serving first as a member of the House of Delegates and later as a state senator. (Left-interview with Tom Michie)
In 1963, Edward H. Deets and Lewis A. Martin Jr. withdrew from the firm and shortly thereafter John T. Camblos withdrew. The firm name then became Taylor, Michie and Callaghan.
Leroy R. Hamlett joined the firm in 1969; Brian J. Donato joined in 1970; and Edward B. Lowry joined in 1971. In 1974, Robert E. Taylor became "of counsel" but the name of the firm remained the same until 1976 when Robert E. Taylor and Richard S. Callaghan withdrew. Thereafter the firm became Michie, Hamlett, Donato & Lowry.
In 1974, the firm purchased unfinished space in the old Monticello Hotel, which had been converted into a condominium. The firm bought about three quarters of the third floor, which originally consisted of the ballroom, kitchen and front club rooms. About a year later the firm purchased the last quarter of the floor, known as the "Jackson Room."
Bruce D. Rasmussen joined the firm in 1973, and Ronald R. Tweel joined in 1975. In 1987, Brian J. Donato withdrew, and the name of the firm became Michie, Hamlett, Lowry, Rasmussen & Tweel.
In 1989, the partnership firm formed a professional corporation, Michie, Hamlett, Lowry, Rasmussen & Tweel, P.C., and purchased space on the second floor of the 500 Court Square condominium, the former Monticello Hotel, consisting of the dining room and kitchen.
Firm names in history
In 2009, the firm adopted the shortened name MichieHamlett for use in marketing materials, although the name Michie Hamlett Lowry Rasmussen & Tweel remained the official designation.
- Michie & Fishburne 1946
- Michie, Camblos & Via 1952
- Michie, Taylor, Camblos & Deets 1958
- Michie, Taylor, Camblos, Deets & Martin 1959
- Taylor, Camblos, Deets, Martin & Michie 1961
- Taylor, Michie, & Callaghan 1963
- Michie, Hamlett, Donato & Lowry 1976
- Michie, Hamlett, Lowry, Rasmussen & Tweel 1987
- Michie, Hamlett, Lowry, Rasmussen & Tweel, P.C. 1989
- Michie Hamlett Lowry Rasmussen & Tweel PLLC 2004
- MichieHamlett 2009
Contact Information & Staff
David Thomas, 434-951-7200
- John V. Little, longtime real estate attorney with MichieHamlett 
- ↑ Web. Little, John Vance, Daily Progress, Lee Enterprises, July 31, 2019, retrieved December 4, 2021.