Charlottesville-Albemarle Metropolitan Planning Organization
Charlottesville-Albemarle Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) is the forum for cooperative transportation decision-making among Charlottesville, Albemarle, commonwealth and federal officials. The MPO considers long-range regional projects and combines public input, technical data, and agency collaboration.
Organized for the City of Charlottesville and the urbanized area of Albemarle County immediately surrounding the city, MPO is responsible for carrying out continuing, cooperative, comprehensive transportation planning and programming. MPO coordinates the transportation planning activities of the various transportation-related agencies that have both a direct and indirect impact on the Long Range Plan and Transportation Improvement Program.
Long-range transportation plans
In 2012, the MPO considered expanding its boundaries to include Lake Monticello, Ruckersville, and other growing communities to factor in population growth following the 2010 census report for the Commonwealth of Virginia. The addition of the extra localities would add voting members to the organization to weigh in on transportation issues. Some have questioned the expansion, saying the added localities would undermine the organization's efficacy in considering local transportation projects and would dilute the single VDOT representative's opinion. In the end, the MPO opted to add Crozet to its borders, but to remain within Albemarle County.
- Ned Gallaway, Albemarle County
- Ann Mallek, Albemarle County
- Mike Signer, Charlottesville
- Kathy Galvin, Charlottesville
- John Lynch, VDOT Culpeper District Administrator
The MPO has two main subcommittees: Foremost, final decision making authority for the MPO is vested in the MPO Policy Board. The board is served by the:
- MPO Technical Committee
- Citizens Transportation Advisory Committee (name changed from CHART at September 25, 2013 MPO Meeting
- Web. MPO Policy Board, TJPDC, retrieved 30 Sep 2009.
- Web. MPO begins rewriting long-range transportation plan, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville, VA, January 27, 2011, retrieved February 1, 2011.
- Web. MPO considers expanding its boundaries to other localities in region, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, Charlottesville, VA, July 24, 2012, retrieved July 26, 2012.
- Web. MPO acts on several transportation items, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, January 23, 2013, retrieved January 24, 2013.
- Web. Charlottesville and Staunton transportation groups meet to discuss collaboration, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, October 8, 2015, retrieved October 12, 2015.
|An article on Wikipedia has information about 'MPOs' in areas beyond Albemarle County's borders.|