Market Central is a non-profit organization dedicated to preserving and enhancing the Charlottesville City Market. The organization aims to promote the vitality of area agriculture. Market Central was founded in 2003.
About Market Central
"We’re passionate about the roles that a local, public market can play in a community as
- a source for fresh, local foods
- a venue for local artisans
- a business incubator
- a social gathering place – the ‘town square’
- an economic driver for the area
"Thus Market Central’s initial mission: Raise funds and awareness to create a permanent home, where the community can enjoy better access to local farmers, crafters, and food producers year-round, in any weather. In pursuing that goal, Market Central maintains a strong relationship with City Council and city administrators. We also remain committed to serving our community through charitable and educational outreach."
Board of Directors
- Cecile Gorham – Chairwoman
- Eileen Stephens – Treasurer
- Kathy Kildea – Secretary
- Lynn Eheart
- Laura Dollard
- Lynda Fanning
- Eric Betthauser
- Brevy Cannon
- Kelly Ceppa
In September 2009, Market Central sponsored a farm tour in which five farms participated. In 2010, that number increased to 18.
YouTube Charlottesville City Market 2010 on Meet The Farmer TV
- "Market Central, Inc." Market Central, Inc. Market Central, Inc. Web. 23 Aug. 2010. <http://www.marketcentralonline.org/market_central_site/Market_Central,_Inc._-_Welcome.html>
- Kates, Tasha. "'Meet Yer Eats' Farm Tour Planned for Labor Day | Daily Progress." Home | Daily Progress. 22 Aug. 2010. Web. 23 Aug. 2010. <http://www2.dailyprogress.com/news/2010/aug/22/meet-yer-eats-farm-tour-planned-labor-day-ar-466870/>
- Web. About Us, Market Central, retrieved April 20, 2012.