|Leonard W. Sandridge, Jr.|
Senior Advisor to the Board of Visitors
|Term Start||June 29, 2012|
Executive Vice President, COO
|Term End||July 1, 2011|
|This biographical article is a stub. You can help cvillepedia by expanding it.|
Leonard Sandridge began working for the University in 1967 as a staff member of the university's internal auditor. In 1986, he became the executive assistant to the president. In 1989 he rose to vice president for business and finance, before becoming senior vice president and chief financial officer in 1993. He was promoted to executive vice president and chief operating officer, as well as chief financial officer for the Board of Visitors of the University of Virginia. He retired on July 1, 2011. In May 2011, UVa President Teresa Sullivan named Michael Strine as new University's Executive VP and COO. When Sandridge was replaced, his job responsibilities were split between two positions, and President Sullivan assumed other duties, such as supervision of UVA athletics. Sandridge remained employed by U.Va as a part-time advisor. 
Following the resignation and reinstatement of Teresa Sullivan, Governor Bob McDonald created the "Senior Advisor to the Board of Visitors" position which was then filled by Sandridge and William H. Goodwin, Jr.
Awards & Honors
- In 2003, Sandridge received the Paul Goodloe McIntire Citizenship Award from the Charlottesville Regional Chamber of Commerce. 
- In December 2006, the Virginia Department of Transportation unveiled signs renaming the North Grounds Connector as Leonard Sandridge Road in honor of Sandridge. The plans to rename the road had been announced on September 30 of that year.
- Web. Governor McDonnell Announces UVa Board of Visitors Appointments, Darden School of Business, University of Virginia, June 29, 2012, retrieved July 13, 2012.
- Web. Sandridge talks UVa past, present and future, Ted Strong, Daily Progress, Lee Enterprises, February 5, 2011, retrieved February 8, 2011.
- "Biography: Leonard W. Sandridge, Executive Vice President & Chief Operating Officer,." University of Virginia. Web. 20 Nov. 2009. <http://www.virginia.edu/execvp/biography.html>.
- "Sullivan Names Johns Hopkins' Michael Strine as University's Executive VP and COO" University of Virginia. Web. 12 May 2011. <http://www.virginia.edu/uvatoday/newsRelease.php?id=15018>.
- Web. UVa committee to seek Sandridge successor, Daily Progress, Lee Enterprises, October 13, 2010, retrieved October 15, 2010.
- Web. Burks gets Chamber of Commerce's highest honor, Samantha Koon and Bryan McKenzie, Daily Progress, Lee Enterprises, November 30, 2011, retrieved December 1, 2011. Print. December 1, 2011 page A1.
- Web. Paul Goodloe McIntire Citizenship Award, Website, Charlottesville Regional Chamber of Commerce, retrieved November 13, 2017.
- Web. New Signs Announce Naming of Leonard Sandridge Road, UVA Today, University of Virginia, December 17, 2006, retrieved July 13, 2012.