James G. Johnson
Johnson was born in Elk Garden, Russell County, Virginia. His father, C. W. Johnson, was a physician and Confederate veteran.
He received his bachelor's degree from Milligan College in Tennessee, then a Ph.D. in English from UVA in 1909. He then become Superintendent of Schools, holding that position until 1946.
He oversaw the construction of several schools, including McGuffey, Venable, Clark, Lane, and the initial part of what is now the Jefferson School City Center building for the newly-created Jefferson High.
In 1936, he edited and contributed to a detailed history of the Charlottesville schools that was published as a supplement to the McGuffey Readers. After retiring, he collected data on schools and teaching. 
- Web. James G. Johnson, Staff Reports, Daily Progress Digitized Microfilm, Lindsay family, February 4, 1956, retrieved February 4, 2017 from University of Virginia Library. Print. February 4, 1956 page 3.