Jefferson Area Board for Aging
The Jefferson Area Board for Aging (JABA) mission is to promote, establish and preserve sustainable communities for healthy aging that benefit individuals and families of all ages. JABA accomplishes this by working with community partners for the good of the entire community. JABA was founded in 1975.
JABA will also operate a satellite campus at the new Jefferson School City Center.
JABA also has a Disability Services Board.
Local food efforts
JABA is raising money to build a frozen-food processing facility to allow them to use more local food in the meals they serve to patrons. The facility would allow them to freeze locally grown food for use in the off-season. Each year, JABA serves mores than 36,000 meals at its Hillsdale drive location.
JABA agreed in 2011 to help with administration of a nursing clinic at the Westhaven public housing site.
Fluvanna County experienced significant budget shortfalls for the 2013 fiscal year, resulting in complete cuts to funding for JABA.
- Marta Keane, Chief Executive Officer
- Judy Berger, Community Nutrition Manager
Gordon Walker era
On July 30, 2012, JABA's CEO, Gordon Walker, was honored by the National Association of Area Agencies on Aging with the President’s Award for Leadership in the Aging Network for his commitment to working with the elderly.
- ↑ Web. About JABA, JABA, retrieved July 30, 2012.
- ↑ Web. Jefferson School may get local historic designation, Rachana Dixit, Daily Progress, Lee Enterprises, December 12, 2010, retrieved December 13, 2010.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Web. JABA's dream of frozen-foods facility gets boost, Ted Strong, Daily Progress, Lee Enterprises, October 14, 2010, retrieved October 15, 2010.
- ↑ Web. City Council Agenda for January 3, 2012, City of Charlottesville, retrieved December 29, 2011.
- ↑ Web. JAUNT to end bus service in Fluvanna, Bryan McKenzie, Daily Progress, Lee Enterprises, May 9 2012
- ↑ Web. JABA Announces Marta Keane as new CEO, Jefferson Area Board for Aging, retrieved April 2, 2013.
- ↑ Web. JABA chief honored by national group, Daily Progress Staff, July 30, 2012, retrieved July 30, 2012..