Free Enterprise Forum
The Free Enterprise Forum is a non-profit organization that analyzes local government policy and monitors more than 100 boards and commissions in Central Virginia. They cover Albemarle, Fluvanna, Greene and Nelson Counties, as well as the City of Charlottesville.
Launched in 1998, the Free Enterprise Forum was previously known as the Charlottesville Area Legislative Action Coalition (CALAC), a coalition of the Charlottesville Regional Chamber of Commerce, the Blue Ridge Home Builders Association, and the Charlottesville Area Association of Realtors.
The organization's goal is to providing clear positive balance to the discussions of important issues of the day. This balance is geared to counter what is often a vocal minority in the community.
The Free Enterprise Forum:
- Promotes dialogue with local government
- Sets a positive tone and pro business agenda with local government
- Encourages government policies that support our free enterprise system
- Provides critical information and analysis of issues of the day
- Tracks more than 100 appointed commissions and boards
- Researches issues to evaluate the situation and find potential solutions
- Alerts businesses to issues that will impact their sphere of endeavor
- Mobilizes businesses and citizens affected by government action
- Offers expertise to monitor and analyze city, county, and state public policy and its impact on the business community
Officers & Directors
Board of Directors
Charles Rotgin, Jr.
- Neil Williamson, President and Executive Director
- Brent Wilson, Greene County Field Officer
- Bryan Rothamel, Fluvanna County Field Officer
The Free Enterprise Forum hosted non-partisan candidate forums for the 2005 Albemarle County Board of Supervisors elections in 2005.
In the 2007 and 2009 local elections, the Free Enterprise Forum co-sponsored with Charlottesville Tomorrow non-partisan candidate forums for elections to the Albemarle County Board of Supervisors and the Charlottevsille City Council.
Spring 2013: Forum releases white paper calling cash proffers a "welcome stranger" tax
2009 Presentation by Jim Bacon
Charlottesville Tomorrow coverage
- Ron Utt December 4, 2007 presentation to Free Enterprise Forum
- Sam Staley April 2008 presentation to Free Enterprise Forum
- Web. County of Albemarle, Albemarle County Board of Supervisors Minutes, Albemarle County Board of Supervisors, Albemarle County, June 10, 1998, retrieved November 12, 2019.
- Web. Free Enterprise Forum seeks changes to cash proffer policy, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, May 5, 2013, retrieved May 6, 2013.