Fred W. Twyman
F. W. Twyman in 1919
Charlottesville City Council
|Date of birth||July 10, 1872|
|Date of death||September 15, 1938 (aged 66)|
|Place of birth||Madison County, Virginia|
|Place of death||Charlottesville, Virginia|
|Spouse||Sallie Whitlock Baker Twyman (March 31, 1880-January 4, 1945, aged 64)|
|Children||James Baker Twyman|
|Alma mater||Locust Dale Academy
University of Virginia
Fred Twyman (1872 – 1938) was a prominent commercial developer and active civic leader in the first half of the 20th Century. Twyman was an active factor in financial and commercial circles, which included opening in the two major performing venues in the city, the Jefferson Theater (1912) and the Lafayette Theater (1921). At the time of his death, at age 66, Twyman was head of the Jefferson-Lafayette Corporation. For over thirty years he took active interest in affairs of the city. In 1904 he was elected a member of the city council and served as such until the Commissioner Form of government was instituted in 1922, when he was chosen one of the three commissioners. He was elected council president by his colleagues to the office of mayor, a position he held from 1932 to 1934. In all he served the city through three forms of government – the common council with twelve members, the bicameral council with four aldermen and eight council, and the commission form with five members.
Frederick "Fred" William Twyman was born on July 10, 1872, the eldest son of Horace Davis Twyman (1840-1897) and Sallie Warner Nichol Twyman, prominent resident of Madison County. Fred's grandfather, Robert Davis Twyman, had been an Associate Justice Civil Court (1853-1856) and presiding Justice (1856-1861). In 1861, Fred's father, Horace Davis Twyman was among the many cadets who resigned from West Point as their home states withdrew from the Union. Out of a total Corps of 278, there were 86 Southerners, of whom 65 resigned and withdrew in 1861 to fight for Confederacy. Horace commanded Company A 1st Georgia Battalion of Sharpshooters. Fred's brothers were David N. Twyman and Horace W. Twyman; sister Nannie Twyman (Mrs. Walter S. Ferguson). Fred received his preliminary education at private schools in Madison County and at Locust Dale Academy, after which he pursued a graduate course at the University of Virginia.
At the age of eighteen he began his business career with the Peoples National Bank, with which he remained until 1907 when he purchased an interest in the Albemarle Telephone Company, of which he became president and which he was connected with until 1928. Before 1912, he opened the Twyman's Main Street Entertainment Palace. In 1912, the competing Levy Opera House closed.
On July 6, 1910, Twyman was joined in marriage to Miss Sallie Whitlock Baker (1880-1945), daughter of James Biscoe Baker (1834–1902) and Sallie Claiborne Barksdale Baker (1840–1916). Professor James Briscoe Baker was University Librarian from 1886 to 1891 and for many years, secretary of the faculty at the University of Virginia. Frederick and Sallie had one son, James Baker Twyman (1914-1994).
For over thirty years he took active interest in affairs of the city. In 1904 he was first elected a member of the city council and served as such until the Commissioner Form of government was instituted in 1922, when he was chosen one of the three commissioners. He was elected by the board to the office of mayor, which position he held from 1932 to 1934.
In 1904, Twyman was elected to the city council representing the Second Ward, an office he held until the commission form of government was instituted in 1922 under the city’s new charter. With eight candidates competing for five Council seats, former commissioner Twyman succeeded himself in the 1928 election for one of the five open “at-large” city council seats. He was elected by the city council board to the office of mayor, a position he held from 1932 until 1934.
In the 1904 municipal election for Mayor and City Councilmen held on Tuesday, June 14th, Twyman was elected member of the city council representing the Second Ward, a seat he held until until the Commission Form of government was instituted in 1928. Prior to 1928, Charlottesville's legislative body consisted of a twelve-member Board of Aldermen and a Common Council made up of three representatives from each of the four wards in the city. The Mayor was elected at-large.
- 1928 election - Twyman was one of eight candidates competing for all five Council seats in the 1928 election, the first election under the new Commission Form of government authorized by an amendment of the city charter by the General Assembly. He was one of the five nominated by a composity body representing several civic organizations. Twyman succeeded himself in the election, receiving the fourth hightest number of votes. In accordance with the city chater, at this first election of the new form of government, the three candidates receiving the highest number of votes held office for four years and the two receiving the next highest number of votes, held office for two years; with the next election held in 1930, the term of office of the councilmen would be four years. Twyman and the other four new commissioners took office on September 1, 1928.
- 1930 election – Fred. W. Twyman and Dr. Dan Haden, candidates of the City Democratic Committee defeated S. F. Hamm and Miss Evelyn Shaw, independents, for the two expired seats on the city council. Twyman succeeded himself, reoccupying the seat which he had held since the 1928 election. Twymen and Dr. Dan Haden joined the three other members of the commission whose terms did not expire this year, Mayor Jury Y. Brown, E. A. Joachim and Fred L. Watson forming the Charlottesville City Council, 1930-1934 which took office of September 1, 1930.
Twyman ran for treasurer in 1909. 
When he ran for treasurer in 1909, he was also president of the City Council.
He was also on Council in 1918. 
- When the Charlottesville city charter was rewritten in 1928, the Board of Aldermen and the Common Council were replaced by a five-member City Council under Commission Form of government. All five councilors were elected at-large for terms lasting four years. The new charter also gave the City Council the power to hire a city manger. The first council meeting as a unicameral body occurred on September 1, 1928.
Positions in 1928
Twyman wrote to the Daily Progress in June 1928 to outline his platform, though he said he was running because the city had a great many needs to address. He said the city needed to tackle the question of zoning "because the business and residential districts are constantly meeting other" destroying property values. Twyman also said Main Street needed to be improved and the sewer system needed to be expanded.
Twyman was president of the Albemarle Telephone Company in 1909.
|This biographical article is a stub. You can help cvillepedia by expanding it.|
- Web. Out In The Open for Treasurership, Staff Reports, Daily Progress Digitized Microfilm, Lindsay family, January 26, 1909, retrieved January 22, 2017 from University of Virginia Library.
- Web. To Resurface Macadam Roads, Commoon Council Votes Sum of $5,000, Staff Reports, Daily Progress Digitized Microfilm, Lindsay family, July 12, 1918, retrieved July 12, 2016 from University of Virginia Library.
- Web. Candidates Give Their Platforms, Staff Reports, Daily Progress Digitized Microfilm, Lindsay family, June 1, 1928, retrieved June 1, 2016 from University of Virginia Library.
- Web. Hotel Victory, Staff Reports, Daily Progress Digitized Microfilm, Lindsay family, June 1, 1924, retrieved June 2, 2016 from University of Virginia Library. Print. June 1, 1924 page 3.