The Eastern Connector is a dormant proposal for a roadway or series of transportation improvements anticipated as part of the Charlottesville-Albemarle Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO)'s UnJAM 2025 Plan. The MPO secured $250,000 to further study the environmental effects of one alignment to see if it could be included in the 2014 update of the long-range plan.  That project was known as the Eco-Logical Pilot Project - Free Bridge Congestion Relief.
The project was rendered dormant after the conclusion of a $500,000 study jointly paid for by Albemarle County and the City of Charlottesville. The firm PBS&J was hired as the consultant for the study, with Lewis Grimm serving as project manager. Both the City Council and Board of Supervisors agreed that more data on traffic patterns was necessary, as well as more information on how the road might be funded. 
The project was overseen by a steering committee that met nearly a dozen times to discuss the road.
Several potential routes were under consideration over the course of the study. Three were recommended as potential alternatives:
- Proffit Road between Route 29 and Route 20;
- Polo Grounds Road to Route 20; and
- A new road near Pen Park connecting Rio Road to the Route 20 area near Pantops.
The stated purpose of the Eastern Connector is: 1) provide for traffic flow between 250 E and 29 N 2) Ease congestion on the 250 Bypass, Park Street, Rio Road, and Meadowcreek Parkway.
The Steering Committee met on February 8, 2008. According to the MPO's February 2008 transportation project tracking document, PBS&J was directed to to conduct additional evaluation on alternatives for the next steering committee meeting. The committee also requested the consultant to evaluate an alternative south of Rt. 250 and to consider optimizations to Rt. 250.
- Web. TJPDC to study environmental effects of Eastern Connector, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, May 22, 2013, retrieved June 3, 2013.
- Web. City Council follows Supervisors’ example and puts Eastern Connector on hold, Sean Tubbs, News Article, Charlottesville Tomorrow, July 6, 2009, retrieved January 11, 2021.
- Web. MPO discusses Eastern Connector, Brian Wheeler, News Article, Charlottesville Tomorrow, July 22, 2006, retrieved January 11, 2019.
- Web. Eastern Connector Committee wants more data, Sean Tubbs, News Article, Charlottesville Tomorrow, December 18, 2007, retrieved January 11, 2021.