Albemarle County Department of Community Development
The Albemarle County Department of Community Development is responsible for reviewing and approving plans for building within Albemarle County. The department's responsibilities are spread over five divisions. Staff provides analysis and guidance to the Board of Supervisors on matters related to land use, transportation and community planning.
Jodie Filardo became the department's director on September 9, 2019.  She succeeded Mark B. Graham after he retired in July 2019. Amelia McCulley became the first deputy director of the program. 
The department was formed in 2004 through the consolidation of three other departments. The departments of Building and Zoning, Planning and Community Development, and Engineering and Public Works became the Department of Community Development.
The department began with 81 employees and climbed to 84 by 2007. However, 25 positions were eliminated during the Great Recession though there were no layoffs. People were reassigned elsewhere in county government such as transportation planner Juandiego Wade. Staff support for historic preservation and groundwater maintenance were removed.
Staff growth increased incrementally and the transportation planner position was restored in 2014. 
In 2010, staff reviewed the site plan and subdivision review process. The project was part of the implementation of the economic development priorities outlined in the “Albemarle County Action Plan” approved by the Board of Supervisors in January 2010. 
2020 and beyond
At their meeting on March 4, 2020, the Board of Supervisors agreed with the general direction that CDD use all of their discretionary time on an update of the Albemarle Comprehensive Plan. Work will continue on a previously agreed resolution to address the issue of unregulated dumping of construction waste and fill dirt. That work is expected to come back to the Board in June. 
"The mission of Community Development is to create a vision for the future of Albemarle County through a proactive community planning effort that involves all stakeholders in a consensus building process and ensures that all new development reflects the community's vision. Armed with this vision and the Board of Supervisor's Strategic Plan, Community Development strives to achieve a future community of quality development, protected natural resources, vital business activity, and livable, walkable neighborhoods. With proactive, collaborative planning, we can effectively shape the County's future and your quality of life."
- Administration/Central Operations
- Current Development
- Jodie Filardo, Director of Community Development
- Amelia McCulley, Deputy Director
- Bill Fritz, Chief of Special Projects
- Jay Schlothauer, Director of Inspections
- David Benish, Interim Director of Planning
- Charles Rapp, Director of Planning (beginning March 9, 2020)  
- Web. Albemarle County names Director of Community Development, News Release, Albemarle County, August 7, 2019, retrieved August 11, 2019.
- Web. Graham announces retirement from Albemarle County, News Staff, News Article, CBS19, Charlottesville, Virginia, December 7, 2018, retrieved December 9, 2018. He will retire effective August 1, 2019.
- Web. Albemarle creates deputy director of Community Development post, News Staff, News Article, CBS19 News, May 21, 2019, retrieved June 1, 2019.
- Web. Affordable housing, development area plans sought by Albemarle planners, Allison Wrabel, Daily Progress, Lee Enterprises, January 29, 2019, retrieved February 8, 2019.
- Web. Albemarle to hire transportation planner, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, November 11, 2014, retrieved December 9, 2018.
- Web. Roundtable discusses streamlined site plan and subdivision review process in Albemarle, Bridgett Lynn, News Article, Charlottesville Tomorrow, August 4, 2010, retrieved March 14, 2020.
- Web. Resolution of Intent - Zoning Text Amendment - Design Standards for Grading, Clerk of the Albemarle County Board of Supervisors, December 18, 2019, retrieved March 14, 2020.
- "Community Development Home." Albemarle County, Virginia - Official Web Site. Web. 20 Aug. 2010. <http://www.albemarle.org/department.asp?department=cdd>.
- Web. Charles Rapp named new Albemarle County planning director, Emily Kilroy, Press Release, Augusta Free Press, February 11, 2020, retrieved February 12, 2020.
- Web. Community Development (Planning)-Departmental Contacts, Albemarle County, retrieved July 3, 2018.