Councilor David Brown (D-At Large)
Charlottesville City Council
|Term Start||June 2004|
|Term End||December 31, 2011|
|Succeeded by||Dave Norris|
|Date of birth||Oct. 8, 1954
|Alma mater||University of Virginia
|This biographical article is a stub. You can help cvillepedia by expanding it.|
A native of Virginia’s Eastern Shore, David Brown received a BA in History from the University of Virginia in 1977. He graduated from Western States Chiropractic College in 1981, and returned to Charlottesville in 1982. He is member of the Sportsmedicine Advisory Committee of the Virginia High School League, and served on the Virginia Board of Medicine from 1989 – 1997. He is a past President of Offender Aid and Restoration of Charlottesville, and directed the SOCA Outreach program from 2000 – 2003. He was elected to City Council in 2004, and served as Mayor through 2007.
Brown is married to Jean Hiatt and had two sons.
Brown ran for City Council twice, successfully, as a Democrat. He announced in the spring of 2011 that he would not seek a third term. 
Brown announced his candidacy for a second term on April 25, 2007. 
Later that spring, he became one of three Democrats nominated at a caucus. 
|Satyendra Huja (D)||3,797||64.27|
|David E. Brown (D) incumbent||3,781||50.47|
|Holly Edwards (D)||3,711||49.53|
|Peter Kleeman (I)||2,212||na|
|Barbara Haskins (I)||2,111||35.73|
Overall voter turnout for this election was 25.89%. Voters could cast three votes, one for each of the three seats available, hence the percentages do not total 100%. Charlottesville Tomorrow's 2007 interview with David Brown
|Candidate Profile Resources|
|Candidate||David Brown (D) - Incumbent * WINNER|
|Office||Charlottesville City Council|
|Election year||2007 election|
|Candidate interviews by Charlottesville Tomorrow|
|Candidate interview transcript|
|Candidate interview audio|
2004 election for City Council
|Kendra Hamilton (D)||3,465||64.90|
|David E. Brown (D)||3,366||63.05|
|Kevin J. Lynch (D) incumbent||3,183||59.62|
|Ann Reinicke (R)||1,782||33.38|
|Kenneth Wayne Jackson (R)||1,557||29.16|
|Vance D. High (I)||717||13.43|
|Source: City of Charlottesville|
Voters could cast three votes, one for each of the three seats available, hence the percentages do not total 100%.
- McNeill, Brian. "Local Supercar Races toward Multi-million-dollar Prize | Daily Progress." Home | Daily Progress. 20 July 2010. Web. 21 July 2010. <http://www2.dailyprogress.com/news/2010/jul/20/local-supercar-races-toward-multi-million-dollar-p-ar-321688/>.
- Charlottesville City Council Meeting. City Hall, Charlottesville. 7 February 2011. Public Meeting.
- Web. Eight Years Is Plenty: Brown Wont Seek Re-election to Council, Daily Progress, World Media Enterprises, 21 Apr. 2010
- Web. Brown Announces Bid for City Council, Sean Tubbs, News Article, Charlottesville Tomorrow, April 25, 2007, retrieved April 17, 2018.
- Web. Brown, Edwards & Huja Nominated for Council, Brian Wheeler, Charlottesville Tomorrow, June 2, 2007, retrieved March 11, 2013.
- Web. Elections Database, Elections Database, Virginia State Board of Elections, retrieved July 25, 2017.
|Charlottesville City Council, 2010-2011|
|Members||David Brown | Satyendra Huja | Holly Edwards | Dave Norris | Kristin Szakos|
|See also||List of City Councilors | Recent City Council elections|