Albemarle Board of Supervisors
|Election||Nov. 8, 2011|
|For term to start||2012|
Virginia House of Delegates
|Date of birth||September 10, 1951
Neff has been a member of the Board of Directors for Advocates for a Sustainable Albemarle Population and the AIDS/HIV Services Group, the advisory council of the Legal Aid Justice Center and is co-chair of the national board for GenderPAC. Cynthia volunteers as a CASA and does legal research at the Legal Aid Justice Center for the Virginia Incarcerated Persons project.
Support for Dumler and DUI conviction
On October 19, 2012, Neff posted a $50,000 bond to secure the release of Albemarle County Supervisor Christopher Dumler from the Albemarle Charlottesville Regional Jail. Dumler had been arrested the day before and charged with one count of forcible sodomy. Neff used her home on Pritchett Lane as collateral. Neff was arrested herself about a week later on charges of driving under the influence. On July 30, 2013, an Albemarle County circuit court found Neff guilty of driving under the influence on the night of October 28, 2012. Neff was driving home from a fundraiser and was a block away from her home when a county police officer stopped her.
|Kenneth C. Boyd (R) incumbent, (winner)||2,934||56.57|
|Cynthia Neff (D)||2,249||43.36|
|Source: State Board of Elections|
Cynthia Neff announced her challenge to incumbent Kenneth C. Boyd, a Republican, for the Rivanna seat on the Albemarle County Board of Supervisors in front of the County Office Building on June 14, 2011. However, she lost to him in the general election.
Neff was unopposed for the Democratic nomination. At her announcement, she stated that a motivating force behind her decision to announce was the Board's decision past midnight to revive the unpopular Western Bypass project. She told NBC 29 that she was "appalled that we were making decisions at the middle of the night. Changing major things like transportation strategies that don't meet our current needs based on a late minute phone call with bad information." Neff went on to state that "someone needs to stand up for the citizens and listen to them."
Neff received the endorsement of the Piedmont Group of the Sierra Club.
|Candidate Profile Resources|
|Candidate||Cynthia Neff (D) - Challenger|
|Office||Albemarle Board of Supervisors, Rivanna District|
|Election year||2011 election|
|Candidate interviews by Charlottesville Tomorrow|
|Candidate interview transcript|
|Candidate interview audio|
In 2009 Neff was the Democratic candidate for the 58th Virginia House of Delegates seat against incumbent Delegate Rob Bell. Neff received 32.7% of the vote in the general election on November 3, 2009, losing to incumbent Robert R. "Rob" Bell (R-Charlottesville) 18,402 to 8,948
- Web. ASAP Board of Directors, official site, Advocates for a Sustainable Albemarle Population, retrieved 15 Aug. 2009.
- Web. Boyd turns back Neff; Dumler wins in Scottsville, Aaron Richardson, Daily Progress, Lee Enterprises, November 8, 2011, retrieved November 2, 2023.
- Web. Places 29 Hydraulic Community Advisory Commitee, Roster, Albemarle County, retrieved October 23, 2021.
- Web. Neff helps Dumler post $50,000 bond on forcible sodomy charge, Samantha Koon, Daily Progress, Lee Enterprises, October 19, 2012, retrieved October 22, 2012.
- Web. Cynthia Neff arrested, charged with DUI, Daily Progress Staff Reports, Daily Progress, Lee Enterprises, October 29, 2012, retrieved November 7, 2012.
- Web. Neff's weight defense in DUI case falls flat, Liana Bane, Daily Progress, Lee Enterprises, 30 July 2013, retrieved 31 July 2013.
- Web. Virginia State Board of Elections Elections Database, Virginia State Board of Elections, retrieved March 17, 2017.
- Web. Albemarle Board of Supervisors Race Takes Shape, Ruth Showalter, Charlottesville Newsplex, 14 June 2011, retrieved 18 June 2011.
- Web. Cynthia Neff takes on Boyd for supe seat, Erin Chapman, The Hook, Better Publications LLC, 14 June 2011, retrieved 18 June 2011.
- Web. Neff Announces Run for Albemarle Board of Supervisors, Henry Graff, NBC 29, 14 June 2011, retrieved 18 June 2011.
- Web. Sierra Club endorses Neff, Dumler and Mallek for Albemarle Board, Chiara Canzi, C-VILLE Weekly, Portico Publications, September 28, 2011, retrieved October 3, 2011.
- Web. Breaking news: Cynthia Neff to challenge Boyd for Rivanna supervisor seat, Rob Schilling, Schilling Show Blog, June 12, 2011
- http://historical.elections.virginia.gov/elections/search/year_from:2009/year_to:2009/office_id:8/district_id:27361 Virginia State Board of Elections Elections Database, Virginia State Board of Elections, retrieved April 11, 2019
- Web. Vacancies on Boards and Commissions, Meagan Hoy, Senior Deputy Clerk, County of Albemarle, retrieved February 2, 2011.