Charlottesville Planning Commission
The role of the planning commission is to apply the content of the Comprehensive Plan to physical growth and development within city limits. The commission oversees any rezonings, special-use permits, site plans, and other development items that come before the city. The planning commission also serves as the Entrance Corridor Review Board (ERB).
The commission generally holds a regular meeting on the second Tuesday of each month, and and one work session each month.
- Hosea Mitchell, Chair, Member since June 30, 2018. Appointed in March 2018
- Taneia Dowell, Member since 2014, reappointed 2018 
- Lisa Green, Member since 2010
- Gary Heaton, Member since October 2018 
- Jody Lahendro, Member since 2014, reappointed 2018 
- Lyle Solla-Yates, Member appointed in March 2018 by City Council
- Rory Stolzenberg, Member since October 2018 
- Bill Palmer, Ex-Officio member representing University of Virginia
- Main article: List of City Planning Commissioners
Relations with Albemarle County Planning Commission
The City Planning Commission and the Albemarle County Planning Commission infrequently hold joint meetings to discuss issues that affect both jurisdictions.
In 2003, the City began a policy where at least one City Planning Commissioner would attend every meeting of the County Planning Commission. However, the policy did not last as this is no longer practice.
For several years, the Planning Commission presents awards to recognize planning efforts in the community for the previous year. Those awards are:
- The Eldon Fields Wood Design Professional of the Year
- Outstanding Plan of Development
- Citizen Planner of the Year
- Herman Key Jr., Access to the Disabled Award
- Outstanding Neighborhood Effort
- Neighborhood of the Year
- Outstanding Sustainable Development
- Neighborhood Development Services Staff Member of the Year
2008 workload changes
In 2008, the Planning Commission's workload was changed as part of a process to streamline the city's development review process. The intent behind the change is to spend less time on specific site plan approvals and leave more time to focus on general zoning issues, 
- Web. Council makes several appointments to Planning Commission, Article, Charlottesville Tomorrow, 2018-03-19, retrieved 2018-07-17.
- Web. City Council appoints four to Planning Commission after Smith steps down, Elliott Robinson, News Article, Charlottesville Tomorrow, October 2, 2018, retrieved October 21, 2018.
- "Draft Minutes, City of Charlottesville, Planning Commission, December 9, 2003." City of Charlottesville. Web. 13 Aug. 2009. <http://www.charlottesville.org/Index.aspx?page=1106>.
- "http://cvilletomorrow.typepad.com/charlottesville_tomorrow_/2008/10/commission_streamlining.html." Weblog post. Charlottesville Tomorrow News Center. Charlottesville Tomorrow, 17 Oct. 2008. Web. 13 July 2009. <http://cvilletomorrow.typepad.com/charlottesville_tomorrow_/2008/10/commission_streamlining.html>.