Charlottesville City Council (2010-2011)
The two-year term of the Charlottesville City Council (2010-2011) ran from January 1, 2010 to December 31, 2011. In the 2009 election, one new member to the council, Kristin Szakos, replaced Julian Taliaferro; councilor Dave Norris was re-elected. The three members of the council whose terms did not expire this year wereDavid Brown, Holly Edwards and Satyendra Huja.
Satyendra Huja (D), Member from January 1, 2008 to December 31, 2015
Holly Edwards (D), Vice-president (vice-mayor), Member from January 1, 2008 to December 31, 2011
David Brown (D), Member from July 1, 2004 to December 31, 2011
Dave Norris (D), President (mayor), Member from July 1, 2006 to December 31, 2013
Kristin Szakos (D); Member from January 1, 2010 to December 31, 2017
Gary O'Connell, City Manager, November 1995 to January 2010
Maurice Jones, Acting City Manager, April 13, 2010 to December 2010
Maurice Jones, City Manager, December 2010 to December 2018
On December 6, 2010, Charlottesville City Council (2008-2009) appointed Maurice Jones as the Charlottesville City Manager . He had previously been serving as the Acting City Manager since April 12, 2010 following the resignation of Gary O'Connell. On May 25, 2018, the Charlottesville City Council (2018-2019) opted not to renew Jones' contract when it was set to end in December 2018.
Jones was first hired by Charlottesville in 1999 to serve as director of communications. In 2005, he stepped down to take a position at the Miller Center of Public Affairs. He returned to the city in February 2008 to become Assistant City Manager. He also worked for NBC29 as a sportscaster before joining city government.
The City Council Adopted Budget for Fiscal Year 2010 – 2011: Total operating budget of $126,001,345 (represented a decrease of .77% when compared to the previous year’s budget).
- Incumbent Julian Taliaferro was one of three candidates who sought nomination to one of two slots on the Democratic Party's ticket. He announced his nomination for a second term on March 9, 2009. After a brief campaign, the Democrats opted that year to hold an "unassembled caucus" on May 9, 2009 to determine a nominee. Taliaferro came in third in the balloting behind incumbent City Councilor Dave Norris and challenger Kristin Szakos
January 4, 2010
Regular council meetings were held in City Hall on the first and third Monday of the month.
2010 Noteworthy events
- January 4 – Piedmont Family YMCA: On a motion by Dr. Brown, seconded by Ms. Szakos, Council approved the Preliminary Site Plan design with a 4:1 vote. (Ayes: Norris, Brown, Huja, Szakos; Noes: Edwards).
- February 9 – City Manager: Gary B. O'Connell, City Manager since 1995, resigned effective in April.
- February 16 – City Manager: By a Resolution of the Council, Maurice Jones was appointed as Acting City Manager, effective April 13, 2010.
- October 4 – Meadowcreek Parkway:
- November 15 – Meadowcreek Parkway: Council votes 3-2 to allow city manager to sign memorandum of agreement for mitigation of damage to historical resources.
- On motion by Dr. Brown, seconded by Mr. Huja, Council voted 3:2 to approve the McIntire Road Extended Section 106 MOA (Ayes: Brown, Huja, Szakos; Noes: Norris, Edwards). Mayor Norris noted his continued opposition to the project.
2011 Noteworthy events
|This article is a stub. You can help cvillepedia by expanding it.|
CHARLOTTESVILLE CITY COUNCIL VISION - 2025
Charlottesville: A Great Place to Live for All of Our Citizens
- A leader in innovation, environmental sustainability, and social and economic justice
- Flexible and progressive in anticipating and responding to the needs of our citizens
- Cultural and creative capital of Central Virginia
- Web. Charlottesville will not renew City Manager Maurice Jones' contract, Staff reports, Daily Progress, Lee Enterprises, May 25, 2018, retrieved May 25, 2018.
- Spencer, Hawes. "Acting City Manager: Will "Mo Jo" have the mojo? | The Hook News Blog." The HooK - Charlottesville's weekly newspaper, news magazine. 9 Feb. 2010. Web. 11 Feb. 2010. <http://www.readthehook.com/blog/index.php/2010/2/9/will-mo-jo-have-the-mojo>
- Julian Taliaferro announces campaign for re-election to City Council Nairn, Daniel, and Brian A. Wheeler, Charlottesville Tomorrow News Center. Charlottesville Tomorrow, 9 Mar. 2009. Web. 10 Aug. 2009.
- "Charlottesville Democrats nominate Norris and Szakos for City Council" Charlottesville Tomorrow News Center. Charlottesville Tomorrow, 9 May 2009. Web. 10 Aug. 2009.
- City of Charlottesville. Office of Communications. City of Charlottesville to Name Acting City Manager During the Next City Council Meeting. City of Charlottesville. City of Charlottesville, 9 Feb. 2010. Web. 9 Feb. 2010<http://www.charlottesville.org/>
- http://weblink.charlottesville.org/Public/0/edoc/734729/20100216Feb16.pdf page 6 of 9
- Web. Council paves way for city's portion of parkway, Rachana Dixit, Daily Progress, Lee Enterprises, November 15, 2010, retrieved November 16, 2010.