Charles S. Martin
Albemarle County Board of Supervisors
|Preceded by||Frederick R. Bowie|
|Succeeded by||Kenneth C. Boyd|
|Preceded by||Forrest R. Marshall, Jr.|
|Succeeded by||Sally Thomas|
|Date of death||April 10, 2012|
|Alma mater||University of Virginia|
Elected as a Democrat, he represented the Rivanna District for three terms from 1992 to 2003 after first winning election in 1991. He served as the Board's Chair from 1999 to 2000, the first African-American to hold that position. He served as vice chair in 1998.
In 1987, Martin was appointed to serve as the at-large member of the Albemarle County School Board. During his school board service he was the first African-American to serve as Chairman of the School Board. After being elected as a supervisor, he campaigned unsuccessfully to add an eighth seat to the school board.
Martin died on April 10, 2012. 
- Web. Former Supervisor Charles Martin Has Died, Rob Graham, Newsradio 1070 WINA, April 10, 2012, retrieved April 10, 2012.
- C-Ville Weekly News in Review, October 2004
- Web. Area lost fine man, leader in Charles Martin, Daily Progress, Lee Enterprises, April 24, 2012, retrieved April 24, 2012.
- Web. Former Albemarle supervisor Charles Martin dies, Aaron Richardson, Daily Progress, Lee Enterprises, April 10, 2012, retrieved April 16, 2012.
- Web. Charles D. Martin - Donations, Virginia Public Access Project, retrieved August 31, 2011.
- Web. Charles Martin: Former Albemarle supervisor dies Tuesday, Lisa Provence, The Hook, Better Publications LLC, Apr 10 2012
- Courtney Miller. 15 May 1999. Daily Progress. 19 May 2009. (via George Loper's archive)
Web. HOT SEAT- Charles Martin: Pet peeves of a public official, Lisa Provence, The Hook, Better Publications LLC, July 24, 2003