Brownsville Elementary School
Brownsville Elementary School is an public elementary school that serves western Albemarle County and Crozet, providing pre-K through 5th grade. The school is part of the western feeder pattern. Brownsville opened in September 1966 and is part of the Western Feeder Pattern. 
The school reported 861 students enrolled in pre-K through 5th grade at the beginning of the 2019 school year. 
|This school article is a stub. You can help cvillepedia by expanding it.|
Renovations and additions
In 2009, Albemarle County invested in the school, expanding the cafeteria, building a new gymnasium, and creating 12 new classrooms. The construction also increased the school's energy efficiency rating. As a result, the school became the first in Virginia to be certified under the U.S. Green Building Coouncil's "LEED for Schools" program.
Description from 2019 State of the Division Annual Report
"Brownsville Elementary opened in 1966 to serve the public education needs of the Greenwood/Crozet community. The five objectives of the school division’s strategic plan—engage every student; implement balanced assessments; improve opportunity and achievement; create and expand partnerships; and optimize resources—can be observed through continuous improvement in leadership and instructional practices and student leadership opportunities." 
The following table lists all individuals who have served as principal.
|2016 - present||Jason Crutchfield|
|2010 - 2015||India Haun|
|2003 - 2010||Jo Vining|
|1995 - 2003||John Cruickshank|
|1985 - 1995||Anne Norford|
|1966 - 1985||Harry Kent|
Brownsville Elementary is located at 5870 Rockfish Gap Turnpike.
A group of 5th-graders were recognized as part of a global competition related to littering. 
- Web. Brownsville Elementary School Fact Sheet, retrieved November 17, 2019.
- Web. Brownsville Elementary School, School Quality Profile, Virginia Department of Education, retrieved November 17, 2019.
- Web. Brownsville Elementary addition gets LEED distinction, Daily Progress, World Media Enterprises, retrieved December 28, 2010.
- Web. State of the Division: A Work In Progress, Office of Strategic Communications, Annual Report, Albemarle County Public Schools, retrieved November 17, 2019.
- Web. School Board Appoints New Principal for Brownsville Elementary School, Press Release, NBC., April 15, 2016, retrieved April 18, 2016.
- Web. After Albemarle student is struck by vehicle, parent pushes for safe school crossings, Tyler Hammel, Daily Progress, World Media Enterprises, March 30, 2018, retrieved April 9, 2018.
- Web. Albemarle students receive recognition for Destination Imagination project, Desiree Montilla, News Article, CBS19, May 24, 2019, retrieved May 26, 2019.
- Official school website
- Virginia School Quality Profile
- 2018-19 Strategic Improvement Plan
- 2019-20 Strategic Improvement Plan
- 2019 Elementary School Climate Survey