Albemarle High School Math, Engineering & Science Academy
|This school article is a stub. You can help cvillepedia by expanding it.|
Albemarle High School Math, Engineering & Science Academy, or MESA, is a 4-year program designed to prepare students for college-level math, science, or engineering coursework. Students entering the 9th grade in Albemarle County schools must have completed Algebra I and Geometry and fill out a 3-page application to be considered.  The application consists of two short essay questions, a personal statement, and three letters of recommendation. MESA accepts no more than 55 ninth graders each year. 
MESA's mission is to "educate a cross-section of students with a variety of interests and strengths, to infuse traditional school curricula with real world problem-solving, collaboration and inquiry-based learning, and to prepare the engineers, researchers, inventors and entrepreneurs of the 21st century."  Created to address a declining interest in engineering, the MESA Academy was a $14 million dollar project that constructed a state-of-the-art classroom space for students located in Albemarle High School. Students enrolled in MESA are taken through a curriculum which blends math and science together. 
MESA is located on the second floor of Albemarle High School at at 2775 Hydraulic Road.
The Academy will move to Center II when that facility opens. 
- ↑ Web. MESA Questions & Answers, Albemarle County Public Schools, retrieved February 24, 2012.
- ↑ Web. MESA Applications and Forms, Albemarle County Public Schools, retrieved February 24, 2012.
- ↑ Web. Math, Engineering & Science Academy, Albemarle County Public Schools, retrieved February 24, 2012.
- ↑ Web. Albemarle high ready to roll out MESA program, Sharon C. Fitzgerald, Daily Progress, Lee Enterprises, August 24, 2009, retrieved February 24, 2012.
- ↑ Web. Albemarle school division to move two academies to Center II, Katherine Knott, Daily Progress, Lee Enterprises, January 17, 2020, retrieved January 19, 2020. Print. January 17, 2020 page A1.