Albemarle County Department of Community Development
The Albemarle County Department of Community Development is responsible for reviewing and approving plans for building within Albemarle County. The department's responsibilities are spread over five divisions. Staff provides analysis and guidance to the Board of Supervisors on matters related to land use, transportation and community planning.
The current director is Mark B. Graham. <ref=name="graham">Web. Graham announces retirement from Albemarle County, News Staff, News Article, CBS19, Charlottesville, Virginia, December 7, 2018, retrieved December 9, 2018. He will retire effective August 1, 2019. Amelia McCulley will be interim director if a permanent replacement is not named before then.
The department was formed in 2004 through the consolidation of three other departments. The departments of Building and Zoning, Planning and Community Development, and Engineering and Public Works became the Department of Community Development.
The department began with 81 employees and climbed to 84 by 2007. However, 25 positions were eliminated during the Great Recession though there were no layoffs. People were reassigned elsewhere in county government such as transportation planner Juandiego Wade. Staff support for historic preservation and groundwater maintenance were removed. Staff growth increased incrementally and the transportation planner position was restored in 2014. 
"The mission of Community Development is to create a vision for the future of Albemarle County through a proactive community planning effort that involves all stakeholders in a consensus building process and ensures that all new development reflects the community's vision. Armed with this vision and the Board of Supervisor's Strategic Plan, Community Development strives to achieve a future community of quality development, protected natural resources, vital business activity, and livable, walkable neighborhoods. With proactive, collaborative planning, we can effectively shape the County's future and your quality of life."
- Administration/Central Operations
- Current Development
- Mark B. Graham, Director of Community Development
- Bill Fritz, Chief of Special Projects
- Jay Schlothauer, Director of Inspections
- Andrew Gast-Bray, Director of Planning
- Amelia McCulley, Director of Zoning & Current Development, Zoning Administrator
Site plan and subdivision review process
In 2010, staff are reviewing the site plan and subdivision review process. The project is part of the implementation of the economic development priorities outlined in the “Albemarle County Action Plan” approved by the Board of Supervisors in January.
- Web. Albemarle to hire transportation planner, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, November 11, 2014, retrieved December 9, 2018.
- "Community Development Home." Albemarle County, Virginia - Official Web Site. Web. 20 Aug. 2010. <http://www.albemarle.org/department.asp?department=cdd>.
- Web. Community Development (Planning)-Departmental Contacts, Albemarle County, retrieved July 3, 2018.
- Lynn, Bridgett. "Roundtable Discusses Streamlined Site Plan and Subdivision Review Process in Albemarle." Charlottesville Tomorrow News Center. 4 Aug. 2010. Web. 20 Aug. 2010. <http://cvilletomorrow.typepad.com/charlottesville_tomorrow_/2010/08/site_plan_review.html>.
[[Category: 2004 establishments==