Albemarle Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy
The 'Albemarle Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy pertains to Albemarle County.
History Of The Chapter
The Albemarle Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy was organized May 15th, 1894, largely through the efforts of Mrs. James Mercer Garnett, who became its first president and afterwards first president of the Grand Division of Virginia.
The organization of the Chapter, the first in the South (six months prior to the Nashville Chapter), came about in this way:
- In May, 1894, the John Bowie Strange Camp of the United Confederate Veterans (UCV) which had been organized August 22nd, 1889, sent a request, through Dr. Garnett, to the ladies of the Confederate Memorial Association, of which Mrs. Garnett was treasurer, asking them to form an auxiliary to the Camp to aid in the care of sick and needy Confederate soldiers.