This article is a date listing important or significant events that happened for the year 1959
- September 5 – Judge Paul ordered that the twelve students who would become known as "The Charlottesville Twelve" be transferred immediately from their previous schools, all-black Jefferson Elementary School and Jackson P. Burley High School .
- September 30 – A tornado came through Ivy killing eleven people, including ten from one family. 
- October 29 – The Charlottesville-Albemarle Chamber of Commerce recommends a study on turning downtown’s Main Street into a mall restricted to pedestrians.
- October 30 – Piedmont Airlines Flight 349 crashed into Bucks Elbow Mountain located about 13 miles west of the Charlottesville-Albemarle Airport. The crew of 3 and 23 of 24 passengers were killed; the sole survivor was seriously injured. The aircraft, a DC-3, N 55V, was demolished by impact.  Piedmont Airlines Flight 349 was a regularly scheduled flight between Washington, D.C., and Roanoke Virginia, with intermediate stops at Charlottesville and Lynchburg. 
- November 17 – Albemarle Board of Supervisors and the Albemarle School Board approve construction of a seven-room school in Ivy for Black students 
- Web. Charlottesville 12 historical markers' text, Historical marker text, Daily Progress, Lee Enterprises, Nov 19, 2011, retrieved Nov 22, 2011. Print. Nov 20, 2011 page A6.
- Web. Tornado Kills Eleven at Ivy; Tne Members of One Family Die, Staff Reports, Daily Progress Digitized Microfilm, Lindsay family, October 1, 1959, retrieved July 16, 2021 from University of Virginia Library. Print. October 1, 1959 page 1.
- Web. Timeline: Major Downtown Mall developments, Staff reports, News Article, The Daily Progress, retrieved September 19, 2020.
- Web. Fatal crash momento will make its way back to the mountain, Bryan McKenzie, Daily Progress, Lee Enterprises, October 26, 2019, retrieved October 27, 2019. Print. October 27, 2019 page A1.
- Web. Plane With 27 Aboard Vanishes Near Airport, Daily Progress Digitized Microfilm, Lindsay family, October 31, 1959, retrieved October 30, 2022. Print. October 31, 1959 page 1.
- Web. Ivy Residents Planning Court Action to Halt Construction of Negro School, Staff Reports, Daily Progress, Lee Enterprises, November 17, 1959, retrieved February 15, 2022.