- Progressive Era (1890s–1920s)
- Temperance Movement
City of Charlottesville Government
- 1899-1900 Charter - The elected body was composed of a Mayor and a twelve member board of aldermen. The City was composed of four wards, represented by three board members each.
- Janury 1 – Beginning of the 20th (twentieth) century; a century that began on January 1, 1901 and ended on December 31, 2000.
- Spring – UVA School of Nursing founded.
- Feburary 16 – In a special session, the General Assembly passed the necessary legislation for the state constitutional convention. 100 Delegates were selected based on representation in the House of Delegates. J. H. Lindsay and W. H. Boaz were elected to represent Albemarle County and the City of Charlottesville.
- April 13 Thomas Jefferson’s birthday, the first building of the University of Virginia Hospital opened. UVA dedicated its first hospital: a 25-bed building with three operating rooms.
- May 23 (Thursday) – (1901 election) The first city election under the 1899-1900 Charter was held for the Charlottesville City Council Board of Aldermen; County Board of Supervisors; and delegates the Constitutional Convention.
- July 2 – The first meeting of the new city council elected in May was held.
- A small convention assembled in the basement of Richmond’s Second Baptist Church and formed the Virginia Anti-Saloon League - a movement that brought Prohibition to the state in 1916. Local and statewide efforts were led by Methodist minister the Rev. James Cannon Jr. while local efforts were led by the Rev. J. W. West, field secretary of the Anti-Saloon League. On June 5, 1907, city residents cast their vote to make Charlottesville "dry." Nationwide prohibition did not take place until January of 1920 with the passage of the eighteenth amendment.
- April 24 – Hon. John E. Massey passed away at his winter residence on Park Street. For a quarter of a century he had been a notable figure in Virginia politics, having served as the lieutenant governor of Virginia (1886–1890) and a member of the General Assembly (1873–1879).