From Cvillepedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
← 1851 Janus.jpg This article is about the year 1852
Please help improve this article by conforming to date guidelines and by adding citations to reliable sources.
1853 →


Construction of Charlottesville's Town Hall building, later known as the Levy Opera House, began on the site of the former town battery (or commons). During the time when the building served as the Town Hall (1852-1858), it was also used to host a wide variety of events, including concerts, lectures, church fairs, and university functions. Designed in 1851, the Greek Revival style building seated approximately 800 people.

  • June 5 - Extension of the power of the corporate authorities of the "town of Charlottesville was passed by the General Assembly Taxes on free negros." The council of the town of "Charlottesville empowered, in addition to the subjects of taxation, as well as in addition to the amount of taxes now authorized by law, to levy and impose annually a tax on all free negroes, both male and female, over sixteen years of age, whose residence or place of business shall be within the limits of the jurisdiction of said council, as defined by an act, entitled..." (CHAP. 371)

By the end of the year, the James River Turnpike Company had collected $5,486.56 in tolls. By 1860, after the advancement of the railroads, toll collections dropped to $293.45. [1]


  • February 28 - Dr. James A. Leitch was, on this Saturday, elected Mayor of Charlottesville, receiving every vote cast. Messers. Lobban, Wolfe, Wood and Alexander were chosen Aldermen. Mr. A. B. Ralls was appointed Clerk of the Council.[2]





  1. https://www.jmrl.org/ebooks/Albemarle%20County%201850-1860.PDF
  2. Web. DOMESTIC SUMMARY, Richmond daily times, March 08, 1852, Image 2 About Richmond daily times. (Richmond Va.) 1850-1853, retrieved November 7, 2022.

External links