1105 West Main Street
1105 West Main Street is a contributing structure in the West Main Street Architectural Design Control District. The University of Virginia's Stacey Hall is currently located on the property.
|This article is a stub. You can help cvillepedia by expanding it.|
The building at this location was constructed in 1957 to be a Sears Roebuck.
The Sears Roebuck structure was a reinforced concrete building clad with brick that was designed by Stevens and Wilkinson, an Atlanta-based architectural firm. The firm was responsible for designing all of Sears' new stores in the south, according to U.Va architectural historian Richard Guy Wilson. To make way for the building, several parcels of land on Wertland Street were converted from residential use to commercial use.
Upon completion, Sears consolidated several properties into one. Former stores included one at 212 West Main Street, a farm store on Water Street, a service station on Vinegar Hill, a warehouse on Water Street, and a building on Diggs Street.
Sears only stayed in the location for just over two decades before moving to Fashion Square Mall.
- Web. Staff report for West Main ADC revisions, December 2, 2013 City Council meeting, Mary Joy Scala, City of Charlottesville, December 2, 2013, retrieved December 9, 2013.